Monday, January 5, 2009

"Adventures"


As I sit here on my comfy sofa I am listening to Abe and the kiddies playing "Adventures". That's what they call a role playing, fantasy game. I think "Adventures" sounds nicer than "Dungeons and Dragons". This is a game that I lack the creative juices to appreciate. I don't understand it. Abe has played games like this with his brothers for many many years. Not many years AGO, mind you. They still play at every family reunion. I've stopped fighting it. I don't get it, but whatever. Occasionally I hear them playing and I interject an idea. For example: someone suggests freezing whoever is on the other side of the door.
Clark: How do you know it is not a friend?
So I say: Well if you freeze them, then it won't be permanent. They will melt.
Abe looks at met like I'm an idiot--He says, "Honey. . . this is the freeze of death"

Oh, pardon me. I thought this was all make believe. Why couldn't it be a freeze that is only temporary?
Or one time Abe says, "someday I really want to play a character with his own dragon".
THIS IS IMAGINARY!!!!! Have a dragon if you want one!
Like I said- I don't understand. But they love it.

7 comments:

Abe Fox said...

Goodness....Betsy. You make me sound even dorkier than I really am (and I am pretty dorky) by misquoting me all over the place.

First of all, D&D rocks.

Next, you can't just ride a dragon.....you have to work up to such things over time...."game time", and by rising to sufficient experience levels as to be able to justify RIDING A DRAGON of course.

Lastly, it wasn't just a silly spell called the "freeze of death"....our wizard, in the adventure party, cast the very powerful 5th level spell "Wall of Ice", as described under 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules.

I love you forever, Sweetie..... however, misguided you are in the ways of the greatest game ever invented.

Katie Fox said...

Sorry Abe I think you made yourself sound more dorky:-). I hear you Betsy, I don't get it but we love them anyway, right. I luckily have had my kids getting into it (yet!) good luck with all these "Adventures"

Mothership said...

Hahahaha!!! I can see the face they give you . . . how could you be so ill-informed?!!

And, dearest Abe, your comment proved your dorkiness! :)

Baden Fox said...

When Baden first told me he played a "role- playing game" called Dungeon and Dragons I imagined him and his brothers dressed up in medieval costumes running around in the backyard... and I still married him! So, I don't think I can complain.

Russell Arben Fox said...

Wall of Ice is actually a pretty awesome spell if you cast it in mid-air, upon which this big, thick, heavy sheet of ice appears and promptly (assuming normal gravity obtains) falls on your enemies. Talk about your smackdown.

Abe Fox said...

And Yes, D&D is much better with paper and pencil as opposed to online.

Jenn said...

Betsy....I totally love your blog! Thanks for sharing your address with me! I saw your sister, Brigitta (sp?) at Cannon's blessing & she looked so familiar to me. I just realized where I knew her....we used to work together at AIB. I don't know if she remembers me...it was good to see her again.
Your family is so darling!