Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cheap Knock-Offs

I love this picture of Bethany because it perfectly shows the stage of life she is in. She is still very much a little girl (the dolls keeping her company), but I can see her transitioning into a little lady (reading her book).

Let's talk about the dolls keeping her company. When Bethany turned 8 this year she wanted an American Girl doll. I wanted one when I was a girl, but they are not cheap and so I didn't get one. I hold no grudge, but I did always want one. So I actually did want to buy one for my girls. But Bethany saw the look-alike dolls at Target for 1/4 of the price of a "real American Girl doll". Bethany pointed out to me (THE MOTHER) what a better deal that was. I was rather ashamed that she was convincing me to buy the less expensive, but just as lovely doll.
She and Elinor both got dolls and thought they were lovely dolls, but would they really play with them?
Oh yes, they play with them everyday. We don't shop for clothes for Bethany and Elinor anymore--we shop for doll clothes--cheap knock-off clothes, that is.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Target dolls are really cute! I also like the Madame Alexander dolls from Toys R Us and sometimes Costco. They are about half the cost of American Girl Dolls.