Thursday, August 20, 2009

Torture or Good Parenting?

Piano lessons. Violin lessons. Here are a few of the arguments against music lessons I've heard from my children.

"Why do we have to do this?"

"I hate this"

"I do like being able to play, but I don't like practicing."

"This is the worst part of my day!"

"Why do you spend so much money for something we don't even want?"

"My teacher is SO MEAN!"
And yet, I am unmoved.

Here is my response to the complaints about why they have to learn piano/ violin: "It will make you happy."
Sometimes I expound a little more, but that's the general idea.

I am very grateful that my parents consistently found me piano teachers at all the places we lived in the military. Some were really crummy teachers and some were pretty good. I know that all of my children have excellent teachers so I am not impressed with complaints about their teachers.

From experience myself with piano teachers, helping my children with their practice, and teaching seven piano students myself I have learned ONE THING--- It's all about the PRACTICE! If you practice you get better. If you don't practice consistently, you don't get better.
I have found when children get older they are quite capable of practicing on their own, but they still enjoy the company occasionally (or more than occasionally). If you want younger children to take lessons--which I think is just fine--- you should plan to do their practicing with them.

4 comments:

Ali said...

One day they will say thank you and be grateful that they spent all that time practicing.

Amy F. said...

Good parenting Betsy!!

camfox said...

Betsy, what age to you think is good to start lessons?

Betsy Fox said...

Camille,
It depends on what method you use, how involved you want to be. A lot of people think age 8 is a good age, but Elinor started just before she turned six and it has been quite positive for her. She picks up on things (math, reading) pretty quickly, so I think that helps.