Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm Julia Child. Bon Appetit!

I can cook and I am not afraid of cooking, but I would not consider myself a "gourmet" cook. I am a utilitarian cook--meaning I cook for the purpose of feeding my people, not really because I enjoy cooking.
But I'm really enjoying the renewed interest in Julia Child. The girls and I had a really fun time watching a "French Chef" episode the other day about how to roast a chicken. We all agreed it would be really fun to get a chicken and roast it the fancy way.




We had so much fun. We tressed the chicken which basically means we tied the chicken closed in a fancy way. We didn't have a large tressing needle or regular string so we had to improvise a bit with a large embroidery needle and embroidery thread. It worked!











Aren't our birds beautiful! We learned (from Julia) that we should have used roaster size chickens, but the grocery store only had fryers. Once again, we made do.












We were just so delighted with ourselves and our fabulous chickens!















And here's the finished product. It was very tasty and we all enjoyed plenty of roasted chicken. I mentioned at the table that since this experiment had gone so well I might watch more episodes and try more things. That made the kids pretty nervous. Roast chicken was one thing, but "we like what you make--don't do new stuff". I'll take that as a compliment!

3 comments:

camfox said...

What fun you guys have! Love it.

Matt and Misty said...

You ladies are so domestic! I couldn't be more proud of you:)

Billie said...

I saw your Knights of Freedom blog. We are starting up a group for our boys. Could you tell a little more about its organization and what you all do?
Thanks!