Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Facebook Retraction

When navigating the world of online socializing, namely Facebook and blogs, I try to always keep it positive. I figure people have enough stress dealing with their own problems-- why would they want to be burdened with mine? I try to follow Thumper's advice: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

But last week, I broke my rule and publicly complained about Cannon at church. This post is sort of my retraction.

This was a delightful Sunday at our house.

Here are my lovely ladies just before church.

For those who don't understand why people get dressed up for church. Why do your hair nicely for church, if you aren't doing it nicely the other days of the week.
Why go to church and talk about ways to act that you don't always do? Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

But I don't think that is it at all. When we are getting ready for church and putting on our nicest clothes and doing our hair and behaving our best-- we get to be the closest to what we really want to be. It's the day we get to be our best selves. This is who we really are. It's just harder to remember the rest of the week.
This afternoon was pumpkin carving day!

It is pretty much a whole day's affair.
















Abe takes his pumpkin carving very seriously. Fortunately, Clark is learning the art and so Abe didn't have to carve everybody's this year.

I don't carve pumpkins. Neither does Bethany. Elinor is not quite ready to yield a knife and obviously Faith is not either.
Clark carved his, Bethany's and Cannon's.
Abe did the rest.
I did make them all some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, though!

Also, we don't MAKE them carve our pumpkins. They like it. I guess they are the artist type.

Here are the masterpieces.
From bottom left: Abe, Cannon, Tessa, Faith (it's a dog), mine (notice the bangs).
From top left: Elinor, Clark, Bethany

5 comments:

Amy F. said...

How fun, we've got to tackle our pumpkins soon! I'm glad to see father and son having some bonding time over that sweet pumpkin smell carving mess. :)

McKenna said...

WOW. Thanks for the thought about Sunday being the day we get to be our best selves. I haven't ever thought of it in that way. I really liked that.

THANKS!

McKenna :D

Abe Fox said...

This was our Best Pumpkin-Carving year YET!!!!! Clark, THANK-YOU so much for all of your help.

Jenna said...

I had never thought about Sunday being our best either - what a great perspective!!

Castiel Moyes said...

Hey! I was looking for your email to email you that stuff we were talking about but I don't think I have it! So if you have mine would you email me. If not just maybe leave it on my blog or something and I will get that email to you!