Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Day

We've had our first good snow of the season. The kids were delighted. The dog enjoyed frolicking in it. I, too, was happy to see the green disappear.

It made me want to make soup and cookies and gather my childs around and read books all day.

But no.
My people would not rest until they had gone out to play and build a snow monster (what happened to snow men?).

I do want them to go play in snow and obviously they are ecstatic, but nothing can ruin home school academic plans like snow falling. I guess it's not that different from regular school. Maybe I need to chill out. Okay, I DO need to chill out.

But that is not the worst of it. I LOATHE snow clothes. I think I wrote about this last winter. I think if all 5 of my children had complete sets of snow clothes that fit, (coats, boots, gloves, hats, scarves, snow pants) then it might not be so bad. Instead we pull out the bins of random winter clothing and have to outfit everybody. Note to self: it is time to restock some winter clothing.

I just wasn't ready for it yet this season. I needed to get through Halloween first. So I told them they could go out, but they were on their own for protection from the elements. Clark didn't want to brave the bins in the basement so he opted for socks instead of gloves. Faith was the only one I would help, because she is three and last time I let her get her own snow clothes on she only made it as far as a hat and nightgown with no underwear.

Any advice on dealing with snow clothes?

2 comments:

Ali said...

Don't have an answer to your snow clothing dilema, but I was thinking that before the white stuff falls again we need to do those fall pics. What do you think?

Mothership said...

I hate them, too. I have no solution. Do the children know how exhausted Mother is after getting them all zipped and cinched? It seems that as soon as you are finally gathering your stray hairs back into your bun and tucking your shirt back into your skirt that they are ready to come back in and wanting the cookies and hot cocoa. (Nice run on, eh?) And then the drippy mess that you WILL step in in your stocking feet. Grrrrr.

What we do for a happy face. (: