Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Now What?

Like most families, we are on break from Christmas to New Years. We're not doing our school work, rules about computer, Wii, and movies are seriously lax, and healthy meal preparation is at a minimum. It is a time to relax from our normal schedule, with the exception of regular chores because the house would explode if we didnt.

The thing is, a family of our size and shape doesn't function very well without our normal routine, and rules and workload. Several of us, myself included, get quite out of sorts without our schedule. There is no dance, Tae Kwon Do, basketball, violin or piano lessons. There really is no reason to leave the house. We are going stir crazy.We can't go out shopping to entertain ourselves (no money). Dollar movies are out (Cannon is a nightmare at a theater). I can't sit and read a book these days (Cannon thinks I'm a jungle gym). The kids do go play in the snow quite a bit, but then the snow clothes aftermath drives me to drink. Some of the children enjoy having friends over to play, but that bothers the ones who don't enjoy having friends over.

I suppose our purpose this week is to relax. I don't think I'm very good at relaxing. I'm good at running my ship and making sure my people are being productive. I have got to chill out, but my idea of chilling out doesn't translate to well taken care of and happy children. Can anyone relate? Does anyone have any advice for me?

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

I am in the same boat. We're going to take down Christmas decorations and start math again tomorrow! It's not as much school as usual, but I'm hoping they'll stay out of trouble. :)