Friday, February 12, 2010

La Caille to DI

Abe and I went on our Valentine's date tonight. Last year in May we purchased a $50 gift certificate for $25 to a fancy-pants restaurant named La Caille (rhymes with La Tie). We'd been to this restaurant once before for a super nice wedding reception for the daughter of Abe's boss. When we bought the gift certificate I thought surely $50 would be plenty to cover a nice dinner out.
I was wrong. Big time wrong. At La Caille $50 will cover one entree. That's it. No appetizer, no drink, no dessert. ONE ENTREE.
When we got there we weren't quite sure how much food we would get, but we had decided we would not go over the gift certificate. So, we ended up just getting dessert. Mighty tasty dessert, I must add. Also, we skipped the valet parking and actually parked our own car. How chinsy can we get? But who cares-- I park my own car everyday, everywhere I go, so it's something I feel very comfortable with. Not to mention my minivan is like a toxic waste dump. Like I'm going to let some young man get in there without a hazmat suit.

We didn't linger too long at the restaurant because we wanted to catch a movie since we had a real babysitter and we didn't have to worry about the kiddos. Besides, when you've sworn an oath not to spend more than $50 at La Caille, you don't really want to hang around watching everyone enjoy their food.

We had a few minutes before our movie to run into the DI just across the street. I was looking for a Little Tykes basketball hoop for Cannon. No luck, but interestly, (or sadly, depending on your opinion) I felt more comfortable at the DI than the fancy-pants restaurant. Talk about your socio-economic spread--La Caille to DI.

3 comments:

Amy F. said...

I'm proud of you for sticking to your budget!! I hope that dessert was good for $50!!

Abe Fox said...

We each got our own dessert.....and hey, I even got a diet Pepsi!!!

Kelli said...

this cracks me up!