Thursday, April 15, 2010

Just Want to Be Heard

I have nothing profound to share in this post. No big, fun activity with the kiddos. No big news to announce. I just want to write a bit and see where I go.

The weather was PERFECT today. I turned off the thermostat and the indoor temperature stayed exactly where I would have set it anyway--69 degrees. Very comfortable and at NO COST! Yipee! I opened up all the windows and left the sliding back door open all day so that my little people (Faith and Cannon) could come and go as they saw fit. The backyard is fenced so in nice weather I consider the backyard an extension of the house. The funny thing is, Abe NEVER criticizes the shape of the house. It can be REALLY messy and either he doesn't notice (smart man) or he notices, but doesn't say anything. However, if ANYTHING is left in the backyard there is an immediate interrogation to find the offender and to remedy the situation. Why is this?

Now it is time for a confession. A shameful confession. Some of you may never speak to me again or read my blog anymore after you hear this, but here goes. We said goodbye to our dog, Winston. We took him to a place where another family can take better care of him. That's what we told the kids. What? IT'S POSSIBLE!
Let's be honest, we never should have gotten a dog. It was a horrible, stupid, rash decision made on a sunny spring day. We never took the time to train him. The kids were/are totally fine with the decision. They are delighted to have the backyard back. Well, there it is--will you still be our friends?

Today I went to the store and seriously stocked up on cold cereal. There was a deal at a local grocery store to get 5 boxes for $5. But I used a coupon and ended up paying $.40 a box. That's a good price! So I bought 50 boxes. But I'm not satisfied yet- I'm going out to get more tonight. What a thrill! A woman behind me asked if we would really go through that much cereal. What a silly question. Has she ever heard of food storage? Now, where to put all this cereal?

I started this post last night but I got distracted by "Survivor" (the TV show). Abe and I used to be the biggest Survivor fans on the planet. Then we fell away for several years. We are back watching this season. This leads me to a point I've wanted to make for a while. Brace yourselves-- it's a little bit controversial.
I hope we're not a family that lives and breathes for TV. That being said, I do not believe that the TV is Satan's little helper. We have a TV and we watch it sometimes. We get the very most basic channel package and we have a DVR (a digital video recorder-AKA Tivo). There are a few shows the kids like to watch and a few Abe and I like. We quickly fast forward through commercials and rarely channel surf.
In some circles people proudly proclaim to the world that they have no TV. Wow! How admirable. Think of all the productive ways they spend their time. They never get sucked into wasting an hour of their life on meaningless entertainment.
But wait! Then they proclaim that they watch certain shows on their computer.
Okay, so what's the difference? Who cares if you are watching it on an old fashioned TV or on a fancy laptop?
If you truly don't watch any shows on TV, but you regularly watch all the latest movies-- is that much different, either?
There is a ton of JUNK on TV, but I think it's ridiculous to vilify all entertainment that is broadcast on TV.
That's all.
If this post bugged you, wait till my next one, when I will discuss, "What a Woman Wants".

4 comments:

Inspiration Station said...

wow, what a great deal! What store is selling the cereal? Of course, I'll still be your friend even though you got rid of your dog. I don't think we will ever have one. Greg and I didn't really grow up with animals. Although, in college, I sure liked JD--the dog your family gave us after I graduated. He was a good, sweet dog.

Kathleen Jolley Fox said...

Betsy-We are thrilled with your ramblings about you and your wonderful family. We have not been very good about up grading our communications vie blog sights. We are just out of touch with all this modern tech, but we want to get on board, so hopefully this will reach you. Please know that we love what you do a mother, it seems that living in your family would be so much fun. We love you so.
Mom and Dad Fox

Betsy Fox said...

Thank you, Mom Fox!

Castiel Moyes said...

Oh I am a big fan of the tv.....seriously we have 4 in our house and I really wish I had one in my bathroom when I take a bath. So if you ever feel judged just tell them about the heathen family in Oregon!