Sunday, April 25, 2010

So Happy for the Coming Week

I am so happy for the coming week, because last week we were CRAZY busy and I'm looking forward to a normal week. Normal will seem relaxing. The past week was filled with mostly great activities, but just too many of them. I will put up some pictures and details soon, but the exhaustion is still too fresh in my mind and I'm trying to relax, so I can't go there yet. Too much fun stresses Clark and I out. Everyone else seems okay with it, but he and I tend to butt heads and lock horns frequently when we aren't with our normal routine.
I said last week was mostly great activities. Now let's talk about what wasn't so great, yesterday, I spent much of the day at a dance competition. Blah!
Bethany and Faith take ballet classes at a local dance studio. Over the past several years I must confess to being a dance studio hopper. Meaning, I'm quite picky about what I look for in a dance studio and if a certain place isn't working for us, we'll move on. Right now Bethany takes ballet twice a week. That's it--no jazz, no tap-- just ballet. She likes it and I like it and really, with ballet, there's no worry about questionable music or costumes.
Faith takes a 45 minute "ballet" class once a week. Besides, her Sunbeam class at church, this is her only outside of the home activity. I don't really think she NEEDS it, but she does love it so I'm fine with it.
The thing about this dance studio that I DO NOT LIKE is that ALL the dance classes have to participate in one dance competition each spring.
RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! Faith-- who is FREAKING FOUR YEARS OLD!- had to do a dance competition for her "Dream Ballet" dance. Let's be honest. These darling little girls have next to no clue what they are doing. I don't expect them to. That's part of what makes them so cute.
Bethany's class also competed with a beautiful ballet dance. I don't have a problem so much with her age group competing, as I have a problem with competition in BALLET! It's ballet for Pete's sake! It is an art!
That is the first layer of my disgust with yesterday's activities. The next level is the costumes and music for many of the dances. Ballet dancing was in the minority at the competition. Most of the dancers are jazz, hip-hop and lyrical. Let's just say, ballet seems a safer route.
And the last layer has to do with my own insecurities. GEEZ! Where are all these "hot-mamas" coming from? Am I possibly as frumpy as I felt yesterday? These mothers-of-dancers are so stylish. I may not leave my house until it's time to have this baby!

3 comments:

Mothership said...

Hahahahahaha! I love you, Betsy!

We have the same dance concerns. My boy loves it, but I don't know if I want him loving what some of the other dance studios do. Ballet is looking like the only route for next year.

If it makes you feel any better, I still have clothes I wore in the 8th grade. Those CAN'T be in fashion, but they are so comfy! (:

Katie Fox said...

it's called those hot mommas are more concerned with how they look then the REAL important things.

jkmilligan said...

Where do you take your girls? Mikayla is a Watsach Arts Center, which I totally love because they don't do competitions, they are professional, and they dress modestly. I like Ballet too! I haven't had a problem with the "hot mommas" either, everyone I have associated with is very down to earth and believe it or not, there are home-schooled girls in her same class:)