Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ten Thoughts for the Evening

1. I PASSED my glucose test!!! This means I don't have to take the yucky 4 hour one. It also makes me think that I would have passed the first one with Cannon if I hadn't eaten a bag of gummy bears before the test.

2. I did go on a date with Abe. We wanted to rent Iron Man from Redbox, (I haven't seen it yet), but they didn't have it. We made a bad choice instead-- Fame.
Fame is LAME. I don't recommend it. But the dinner with Abe and friends was great.

3. I am not feeling so grouchy. But I am getting ready to be done with our regular school schedule for the summer. Must. Make. It. Through. May.

4. At this moment I'm watching Dancing With the Stars. I love this show. I need one of my children to learn ballroom dance so I can live through them. That's why I have so many children-- so I can have all my wildest dreams come true. Through them. I'm okay with that.

5. I went to a bridal shower for a friend in the ward tonight. I came home to find Elinor watching videos of the old Donny and Marie Show. My children love these videos. I gave them to Abe several years ago-- kind of as a joke. But the Donny and Marie Show is no joke! It is serious entertainment. This would be funny, except that with all the TRASH that is passed off as entertainment these days-- I wish I had every episode ever made on tape.
Actually I'd like them on DVD. Our tapes are getting a little worn.

6. My piano students have a recital coming up in a little over a week. It is stressful to play in a recital yourself. It is more stressful to be the parent of a child playing in a recital. I think it is the most stressful to be the teacher of other people's children playing in a recital. The kids are all doing great and they will play beautifully.

7. I mentioned to a wise friend that although my girls are enjoying playing softball, I don't feel as invested as some of the parents. We show up for the games and practice, but my girls are young, so I don't care about extra ($) clinics and league fundraisers and all-star try-outs.
Same thing with dance for Faith and Bethany. Bethany is 9, so I take it a little more seriously, but for Faith? Come on-- she's FOUR! I don't think we need back-to-back dance and tumbling and summer dance camps. I said to this friend, "I don't want them to feel I don't love them because I'm not going to obsess over their "fun" activities" She said, "Don't mistake fanaticism for love". Wise, very wise.

8. Clark mowed the back yard recently. He did a good job, except for the borders around the fence. You really need a weed whacker, which ours isn't very functional, plus I don't feel comfortable with Clark using the weed whacker anyway. So I'm trying to picture the overgrown fence grass as a beautiful border enclosing a magical play land for my children. These are the mind games that help me be a happy mommy.

9. I don't particularly enjoy grocery shopping at Walmart. That is aside from the fact that I am grateful to be acquire food so easily to feed my family. But I LOVE price matching. It almost makes grocery shopping enjoyable. Almost. It makes me feel smart.

10. I took a happy nappy on the couch today. That is why I can stay up and share ten thoughts tonight. I love happy nappies.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

Yay! You passed your test. Any additional pregancy discomfort you can avoid is awesome. You should celebrate with a bag of gummy bears! I like Dancing with the Stars too. I love DVR so I can fast forward the couples I don't like (like Pamela Anderson). I'm voting for Evan, only because I can't for a pussycat doll. :) We LOVE the Donny and Marie videos you gave us a few years back. They are geeky, but cool at the same time. We have Osmond mania around here. It's in the Fox blood. I married into it, and I'm a full fledged fan now. Good luck with the piano recital. I'm glad you got in a nap. I hope you have many more in the future.