Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Final Countdown

Clark got "Lego Rock Band" for his birthday and one of the songs the kids love to play is by a big-hair 80's group called Europe. The song: "The Final Countdown".
This song keeps going through my head. Hopefully this week is our final countdown to the arrival of this new little person to our family. We are all very excited and I am happy to report that as of today I am still a happy, relatively comfortable camper. I did my last sharing time in Primary today. Abe and I dressed up as pioneers and we told pioneer stories and had bread. I felt very "pioneerish". I had visions of my water breaking while I was up there. It would have traumatized the children, but I thought it would have been so funny.

We get the newspaper daily. Abe and I like to read the paper while we eat our breakfast. Clark, Bethany and now even Elinor love to read the comics. Clark cut out a comic strip today that cracked him up. I have to share.
Two little kids go to their dad with an easel and a large flip chart.
Kids: "Ahem. Mom is currently in the kitchen. According to reports, she has gathered the following items. (box of noodles, bag of frozen peas, little onions, mushroom soup, can of tuna)
Given these facts, we have no choice but to move the bad dinner threat level from orange... TO RED!!!!"

Dad: "You guys really don't like Mom's tuna casserole, do you?"
Kids: "At this point takeout is our only hope. Save us Dad!"

This was really funny to me because we have some dinner issues around here. While I make dinner , I am asked no less than 3 times the following question. What are we having for dinner, or what are you making for dinner? Sometimes I am asked while I'm making it. Sometimes someone asks it after an unsavory lunch, what hope they can have for a satisfying dinner meal. Sometimes it is directly following breakfast. This drives me nuts-- let me get lunch out of the way before I have to think about dinner.

I was a very picky eater as a child and I still have pretty bland tastes, so I truly can empathize with my picky eaters. Which interestingly, the picky ones have been picky since their very first tastes of real food. I do believe they come by it honestly. But I am running out of room in my brain to keep track of who likes what. Some of my people's choices seem so random. Let's see, Bethany hates all fruits and vegetables, but loves chips and SALSA (of all things). Clark likes almost everything, but LOATHES tortillas? Elinor eats an entire cantaloupe at one sitting but will not eat anything on a bun. Cannon gags at the first taste of a potato. Faith. . . I can't remember. See, this is too hard to keep track of. So I've kind of stopped trying. I will make food. You are welcome to eat it. If you don't like it, I can understand, but so help me if you verbalize your distaste at the dinner table, I might destroy you then and there. I don't even want to see you grimace or pull a face. Just sit there pleasantly and find something on the table to fill your tummy. There are usually at least a couple of items on the table to keep you from imminent starvation. And if not, there will be another meal in roughly 4-6 hours.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I happened to walk by the Primary room yesterday and I was seriously sad I could not be a part of the fun Sharing Time.

Castiel Moyes said...

I think you should have just shown those little ones what it was like to actually birth a baby out on the plains......right?jk

We must have the same children because I go throught the exact same thing with asking about what is for dinner and making comments about it and just everything you just described. It is really one of my most annoying things ever! I have gotten to the point as well that my kids no that they are not to comment on whether or not they approve of my dinner choices. I am the mom! And I have let them know that I think it is VERY rude that I will work so hard to plan purchase and prepare a meal only to hear their complaints. So they aren't allowed to say anything bad about my cooking.....unless I agree that it is bad!

Baden Fox said...

The other night Baden and I did something we do every blue moon. We didn't invite the kids to dinner. I knew they weren't terribly hungry, so we just sat and ate it ourselves and talked without being interrupted every three seconds with one of them screeching "MORE MILK!!!" We fed them later, and it was really very blissful. Right now I am a little envious that you are having your baby in like 5 1/2 hours. Good luck! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Love, Mary