Monday, July 12, 2010

A First for our Family

We had our missionaries over for dinner tonight FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!
That is right. In our 13 years of marriage we have never had any missionaries over for dinner. I have never once seen a sign up list at church. Clark has been asking for the past 3 years if we could have the missionaries over and I would tell him that if I ever saw the list I would sign up.
Last month the elders stopped by the house and I took the opportunity to book a dinner appointment for a month out. The kids were SO excited today. I'm telling you, my children have never been so cooperative, helpful and obedient. They worked a lot today with absolutely no complaining to get the house ready and help get the dinner ready. They also have a little job for a neighbor with a pest control business to staple rubber bands onto fliers. They did 1000 fliers as well today. Talk about productive!
We really enjoyed our evening with the elders. The elder on the left is from New Zealand, but it was shameful how long it took Abe and I to guess where he was from. We actually had to get the globe out. He seemed to enjoy watching us try to figure it out. Faith drew them a picture of "the tall one and the short one".
My mother always fed the missionaries well in Italy and I think I had a bit of my mother's spirit with me today and I went above and beyond in food prep today. I think I temporarily forgot how pregnant I am and I completely went against my energy conservation program. I am beyond exhausted this evening. We may have to take a movie day tomorrow.

4 comments:

Amy F. said...

Wow, I guess that is a different thing about Utah. There isn't as much opportunity to feed missionaries!! We have had the missionaries for dinner most every month our entire marriage!! Our kids love it, and we love that they teach our kids with a lesson before they go. That's neat that you have memories of your Mom feeding them. In Italy!! Lucky you!

Mothership said...

We, too, have had the missionaries over a lot. Some are wonderful and some make me want to never feed them again! We had ours for the 4th of July which was a total blast (pun!). I'm glad you and the kids had a good experience.

Inspiration Station said...

That is one thing I miss about Virginia, having my kids be around the missionaries. We've yet to have that experience here in Utah. I'm so glad you were able to have them over finally! I'm sure they will never forget it.

CannonOaks said...

Ah yes. Those were the days having the missionaries over for dinner. Do you remember Elder Schanz? He recently ran for the Utah House of Representatives and lost. He owns a business in Salt Lake. He speaks highly of us.