Sunday, August 29, 2010

Backyard Campout 2010

Last weekend we did our annual backyard camp out. If you think you don't like camping, this might be the way for you to go. I must confess I am not a huge fan of camping at this point in my life. I'm pretty sure it has to do with bears and moose and the safety of my children. I hope it's not that I am a boring, unadventurous person, but I'm not ruling that out. Let me once again present the virtues of backyard camping:
1. clean bathrooms (compared to a latrine) in close proximity
2. warm running water
3. very little dirt
4. the refrigerator
5. no chance of children wandering off and getting lost
6. no bodies of water for children to risk drowning (kiddie pool doesn't count)
7. I can enjoy the campfire and ambiance-- and then retreat to my boudoir with George for a good night's sleep.

Will my more adventurous side ever resurface? Did I ever have an adventurous side? I don't know. For right now, the backyard camp out suits my needs quite nicely.
See! See what I mean about Cannon? Would you want to mess with him?
Faith also had a fun thing on the same evening. She's been invited to a Friday night movie club with the other little girls in the neighborhood. Most of the girls are a year older than Faith, but since there aren't any girls her age, we are grateful they include her.As I said earlier, the backyard camp out fills my need for the great outdoors, but perhaps this young lad would enjoy a bit more adventure. That's what Boy Scouts is for, right?

1 comment:

Abe Fox said...

I LOVE the backyard camp-out and the S'MOREs Rocked!! Thanks to the Johansens for letting us borrow their portable fire-pit.