Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm a Horrible Soccer Mom

Elinor had her first soccer practice of the season this evening.  It didn't bode well.
We were very late because I got confused about which park it was at.  I thought it was Rose Crest.  No, it was Rose Creek.  And how was I to know that there are TWO Rose Creek parks in neighboring towns.  Who's stupid idea was that?
I asked a couple of legitimate soccer parents a few questions to ascertain if we had indeed finally found the right park.  I still wasn't sure that this could be her team because she was a FULL HEAD taller than the other kids.  This is a team of 1st and 2nd graders.  I actually had to ask myself, "have I made some mistake about what grade Elinor is in?  Maybe time is going so fast, she is actually in the 3rd grade and I just missed it."  Nope.  She's just really tall-- like a giantess.  A gorgeous giantess, but a giantess.
Now here's why I say the other parents were legitimate soccer parents and I'm not.  They actually care about how their children are playing.  They are shouting things from the sideline, at the first practice, no less.  One dad yells to his son who was playing goalie, "be up on the balls of your feet!"  Another dad yells to his daughter who was practicing kicking the ball into the goal, "don't commit too early!"

What?  Seriously?  Don't commit too early?  Does she even know what that means, much less what it means in relation to scoring a goal???

I just want the kids to have fun, running around trying to kick a ball.  Elinor had fun playing soccer last year and wanted to play again. So I've been a nice mommy and signed up for my day to bring treats.  And I'll do my best to keep track of her soccer shirt, cleats and shin pads. But I probably won't be screaming out advice on when to commit to anything, as I'll be busy screaming at my other children at the nearby park.

Oh, give me strength. This is going to be a long season.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I think these are wise words to all..."don't commit too early"...soccer or not.

Oh and I also had no idea about the two Rose Creek parks. Seriously people were there no other names available?

Amy F. said...

Betsy, you are truly a "blogger". I put tons of pictures up every few months, but I'm not good at taking the time to write about my thoughts and things. I get such a kick out of your humor. I especially loved the post about clothing, I so get that. My kids are looking more like "homeschoolers" as time goes on. :) At least I still brush their hair. Well, most of the time.

Katie Fox said...

I am the same way, I want to chat with the other moms. I don't care whats going on on the field (for the most part). I cheer when my son is doing something but when he is sitting out, I'm not paying attention. I must add that I am NOT a sports fan of any kind so why I got blessed with all sons is a mystery to me.