Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Stinks

Today is Labor Day. Abe is working and my kids don't realize it is a holiday that kids get off school. Against my better judgment, I decided we would just have a normal school day today. We've got a busy week coming and I figured if we did our work today, we (I) wouldn't have to feel bad if we didn't get everything done later in the week.
I'm not sure this was a good idea. Kids are wild today-- did someone tip them off that today is a holiday? Is someone interfering with my plan to completely shelter my children from the "real world"? George is not happy and hasn't been for the last couple of days-- he has a little cold. Sad for him and for me.
But back to the title of my post. I don't really "get" Labor Day. It's a holiday to celebrate people who work, but isn't that everyone? Do you know anyone who doesn't work? I don't.
Is it a holiday to celebrate the end of summer? What's to celebrate? We don't celebrate any other season ending? Why celebrate the ending of the best one?
I guess I'm just jealous that other people have fun stuff to do on Labor Day and we don't. If I were feeling proactive I would go do something fun, but I can't think of anything that sounds even remotely fun with six children (one being a fussy newborn with a cold) and no husband around. So there you have it-- I'm spending my Labor Day hiding in my room and pouting.

1 comment:

Mothership said...

We did take the day off from school, but I amped up the jobs list. We have been working hard all day--just now coming in to watch a movie (but, of course, I'll fold clothes while I watch, so still working).

Tonight, we'll have a fire in the back yard and roast dinner for the last time (probably) this year. That is the only "fun" thing we're doing.

After the hard first week of school, I was glad to have a long weekend to get my feet back under me! Hope your evening is more fun than your morning. (;