Monday, September 13, 2010

We're Back at It

Today was our first Kids' Book Club of this school year. I have no pictures to share because the camera battery was down, but it was great and I was happy to see the gang back together again. In addition to the regular book club, there is now a younger kids' book club meeting just down the street at a fellow homeschooler's home. There were several younger siblings of kids in our club who were wanting to come, so we organized a 6-8 year old group to meet at the same time. So Clark and Bethany stayed here, and Elinor was happy to get to go to her own book club. They read, "A Grain of Rice".

But then, Faith felt really put out that she didn't have a book club, "But Mommy, I want to do a really little kids' book club!". Oh Faith, I'm sorry, Mommy should not take on one more thing right now, or mommy may have to be taken away by the men in white coats.

Back to the book club today. We read Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit. I love this book. A super short version is a family finds a spring of water, they drink it, they never get any older and they live forever. A girl finds out their secret and has to decide if she wants to live forever as well. Obviously there is more, but that's the basic idea.
As part of our book discussion I asked the kids what age they think they might want to stop at if they were going to live forever at a certain age. The girls all said they would want to be the age they are right now. Most of the boys said they would want to be older-- and they all agreed that they would NOT want to be older than 30. I guess to an 11 year old, 33 (my age) is getting old and decrepit. It was hard for me to not crack up at their discussion.

George update: He went to sleep tonight with no fussy time! Yippee! For the last few weeks he's gotten really fussy in the evenings and Abe and I take turns doing the "holding the baby dance" to keep him happy. He has been a great sleeper almost every night, but today he actually napped quite a bit during the day too. Yippee again!

Cannon update: I attempted to give Cannon a haircut today. I didn't do a very good job, but curly hair is merciful to an extremely novice hair cutter. Abe? Clark? Who wants to be next?
Faith update: Faith needs more attention. Sadly we are in a "take a number, get in line, I'll be with you as soon as I can mode". Note to self: must spend more time with Faith.

Elinor update: Did you know how sassy seven year old girls can be? Yeah, it's pretty intense. Lots of hands on hips and valley girl talk. Fun. I'm sure I was worse when I was seven.

Bethany update: Bethany reads to her sisters every night in their room. Thank you, thank you thank you, Bethany. Maybe Faith will think you are her mother?

Clark update: He's been reading The Hunger Games. Should I let my 11 year old read such books? I don't know. But I'm overjoyed that he is devouring books and asking my advice on what he should read next! 10 points for homeschooling! (sorry, I have to get my accolades somewhere!)

Abe update: Abe seems to be suffering from allergy-like symptoms, although he denies that he could actually have real allergies. I don't understand it either. He's heard Clark and I discussing Hunger Games and so he's getting in on the action and reading it right now. By the way, we are desperate for Mockingjay. Anyone feel like lending it out?

Betsy update: I should stop reading WWII, Nazi/Jew books. They are real downers and I don't think they are doing much for my emotional recovery postpartum. I'm looking for a real pick-me-up book that won't require too much hard thinking and I can still follow with interruptions every minute and a half. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Good thing I will be 29 for at least 5 more years. I certainly wouldn't want to be old or decrepit.

Ali said...

My favorite book which I just love is called "The Wednesday Letters" and it is by Jason F. Wright. He is the author of The Christmas Jar. I love reading that book and it always makes me feel good. Hmmm, might have to go pull it out.

Castiel Moyes said...

Maddy just finished the hunger games as well and is on to catching fire and I had the same thoughts that I wasn't sure if I should let her at 10 read those books! I loved them.....but I am an adult! And Mockingjay was a little more grow-up it seemed to me so how do I tell her after she has read the first two that she can't finish the series! I am hoping that most of it might go over her head a bit.....maybe? I don't know.

Betsy Fox said...

Hey Jess,
I worried about a couple of "breast" references in Catching Fire. But then I realized I nurse a baby all day long--- he's already seen WAY too much.