Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blood and Pumpkin Guts

Actually, no blood, but LOTS of pumpkin guts.  Here is my sweetheart; he wields a mean pumpkin carving knife.  He is a pumpkin arteest.  For 13 years of family life he has created masterpiece after masterpiece of jack-o-lanterns. I'm glad, because although I love the end result, I can't actually do any of the pumpkin carving myself.  I think I'm allergic to pumpkin guts-- it makes my hands sting.  Okay, I guess I could wear gloves.
This is Abe's first assistant.  Clark carved his, Elinor's and Cannon's, for which Abe was very grateful because 8 pumpkins is a lot of pumpkins to carve, and pumpkin arteests are sensitive and cannot be pushed too far.  And I think 8 pumpkins would be too far.
BLAHHHHHH!  Pumpkin guts!  You want to know something shameful about me?  I am sore ashamed, but I slept through almost all of the pumpkin carving today.  I was just going to lie down for a minute (wink, wink) and nurse George.  3 hours later I was very refreshed, but had missed most of the annual tradition.  How do I live with myself? 
Cannon slept, too.  But I don't think anyone missed him and I think it was for the best as knives and sharp objects abounded on the kitchen table. 
You will notice that Bethany's hand are not touching any guts.  I don't believe she gets "stinging hands", she just doesn't like touching slimy things.  She kept a very safe distance. 
The masterpieces in the daylight.
In the dark--Oooowoooooooo!
Never disturb a pumpkin arteest at work.  But I do believe that for the right price, he could be talked into private pumpkin carving tutorials. 
Oh, if only we could all look so cute posing with our hand in a gutted pumpkin.

Happy week of Halloween to you all!

2 comments:

Kathleen Jolley Fox said...

Oooow scrary! Wish I could be young again and be part of your family! Happy Halloween! Love, Grandma and Grandpa Fox

Marj said...

I can hear how Abe would talk and act during such an event as this. He was quite the carver as a teenager. I am the one that makes it happen in our family. Which reminds me, we should carve pretty soon.