Monday, October 18, 2010

Is That Suppsed to Be Funny?

It was one of those evenings where everything seemed funny to me.  Was it really funny?  Or was it more a matter of "laugh so you don't cry?"  I don't know.

Was it really funny when my children debated at the dinner table who was the better cook-- my friend, Rebecca, my friend, Michelle, or me.
And I came in third place?  They made a list of recipes I am suppose to request from said friends.  Not funny.

Was it really funny when we went to deliver some neighborhood treats and Abe rammed the minivan into his car park behind us?  Definitely should NOT have been funny, yet it just damaged an already banged up fender on his car, so it was kind of funny.

Was it really funny when Cannon was climbing all over the furniture during Family Home Evening and fell and conked his head.  He sort of deserved it because he was being really onery, but still, it probably shouldn't have been funny.

Was it funny when Elinor had her friends sent home because she and they had a brilliant idea to have a water fight with bottled waters they sneaked out of the back of the car while I taught piano lessons?  I guess that was only funny when she argued that I hadn't told her not to do that.  I told her to consider herself told and for future reference, she shouldn't drink poison or jump off the roof either. 

Was it funny that Cannon colored all over a table with permanent markers that I thought were out of reach?  No, that wasn't funny, but it was funny that the other kids had HUGE gasps when they saw it and Abe and I were relatively calm.  It's funny when the older kids begin to act like parents to younger siblings.

Was it funny that Bethany questioned every direction I gave her in helping to make the caramel popcorn balls we made for Family Home Evening?  Only because Abe does the exact same thing to me in the kitchen while I'm cooking.  He, like Bethany, knows next to nothing about cooking and yet they both question me on EVERY SINGLE step I make while cooking.  Like father, like daughter.  "Out of Mama's Kitchen!" (that's a little joke for my brother, Matt).
 
Never a dull moment.
Wait, I take that back-- I'm about to go fold 38 loads of laundry.  I expect life to be very dull for the next hour.

4 comments:

Ali said...

I love you Betsy! Sounds like a crazy week at your house! And you tell those little munchkins that they are lucky to have a mom like you that can cook so well ... I have never had anything at your house that I haven't loved and who else would serve me "Roast Beast" for dinner?!?

Love you lady!

P.S. If you need a night out ... we are over due for a Schwester Night ... call me! I am free this weekend!

Sariah said...

I'm just impressed that it only takes you one hour to fold 38 loads of laundry! I think that is funny!

Matt and Misty said...

Did this all happen in one day? I think it's funny that you haven't locked yourself in a deep dark hole. That's were I would be.

Betsy Fox said...

No, not one day-- just half a day!