Saturday, November 20, 2010

Decorating Day

We did the majority of our Christmas decorating today.  When we return from our Thanksgiving travels, we wanted to be ready and rearing to go for the Christmas season.  I always have very mixed feelings on the day we decorate for Christmas.  It is a day when memories come pouring like a flash flood into my mind.  Memories of my childhood.  Memories of the years of my marriage.  Memories of each of my children as they are growing up.  

Our wonderful family-like friends, Barbara and Allison Sherman, have carried on a tradition that my own mother barely had time to get started before she passed away.  They give each child and Abe and I a Christmas ornament that represents each person that year.  They are immensely thoughtful in their choice of ornaments for each person.  The kids treasure their ornaments from years past and eagerly look forward to getting their ornament for this year. 

The day is somewhat bitter sweet as we unpack the stocking hangers and find the one engraved with our angel baby, Tessa's name on it.  I was about 7 months pregnant with her Christmas of 2004.  We were so sure of her name that we went ahead and got her a stocking hanger along with the other.  Now Faith gets to use Tessa's hanger each year.  The feeling rushes in reminding me that one of my children isn't here.  I'm not doubting the Lord's plan for us, but I still miss her. 

On a much lighter note, there is the sound track of the day to be considered.  For Abe, the only possible music to listen to while decorating for Christmas is the Osmond Family Christmas Album.  It soothes his soul and reminds him of his childhood Christmases.  It drives me crazy--the songs are sung in ridiculously high keys and with atrocious over-the-top harmonies.  No matter.  It is official part of our family Christmas tradition now.  Once we play through that CD 2 or 3 times we move on to Donny Osmond's more recent solo Christmas album, which Abe and I both agree is great.  We listen to that one about 4 times through before we've had enough. 

My own mother took Christmas decorating SERIOUSLY.  I think she won some city award once in Cedar Hills for having the most stuff  as far as yard Christmas decor.  I don't know if that should be an award or an accusation.  But to each his own.  In my home growing up, Christmas decorating day took ALL day and then some.  To me it was a nightmare.  I guess I enjoyed decorating the tree, but I didn't then, and don't now, enjoy having much stuff by way of decor in my house. 

It seems that the decorating was more Mom's idea than Dad's, yet he was a good sport and did the Christmas honey-do-list.  When I say he was a good sport, I mean that he did it.  Not necessarily with a smile, but he did it.  That's pretty good, when it's not something you really want to do anyway. 

For my part, I'm glad that Abe is usually the one leading out in the Christmas hoopla, because I might take my "less is more" philosophy too far and miss out on some of the fun due to the work involved. 

But I do recall some stress on Christmas decorating day.  And I'm sorry to say that we had some tension at our house today as we decked the halls with boughs of holly.  So I'm curious to know what your feelings about Christmas decorating day are.  Who leads out?  What are your feelings about the day.  I'm going to try out a poll on the blog for the first time-- be a good sport and cast your vote!  Look over on the side. 

3 comments:

jkmilligan said...

I'm with you on the less is more thing. Anything that causes more mess and more work is a downer for me. Good for you on getting your decorations up. We usually do it right after Thanksgving, I'm guessing next Sunday. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family.

Katie Fox said...

Christmas is the only holiday I enjoy setting up. Phil usually takes charge at getting us going, he loves to set up the tree. One year he started while I was gone and I was pretty upset (lol). I also HAVE to wait until after Thanksgiving to set up. Phil would do it at the beginning of November if he had his way :)
p.s. we are excited to see you guys when you come up this way, FYI my boys will be in school Monday and Tuesday. I know Abe plans details so I just wanted to let you guys know.

christini yogini said...

This year, I am taking a good, long time to get into the Christmas spirit. In years past, Alan had us putting the tree up on Halloween! Just the thought of searching around in the garage for decor is enough to put me off!