Thursday, November 4, 2010

My 11-Year-Old Son

Have you ever had, do you currently have, or are you ever planning to have an 11 year old son?

If you fit into one of the above categories, keep reading.

If not, I recommend you close this window and wait for a later, prettier post coming soon about darling little girls.

You've been warned.
Clark goes to a boys' club a couple of times a month called Knights of Freedom.  One of the Halloween-ish activities they did was to peel apple and carve a face in it.  The idea was for the apple to dry out and then it would look like a shrunken head.

I think we did something wrong in the drying out process.  We got a moldy, hairy, stinky, rotten apple.
 Gross, but I like how the hair on the upper left side looks a bit like a crew cut on our shrunken head.  

We have a pet snake.  If you can get over the fact that it's a snake, it makes a great pet.  I'd rather have a pet snake than a dog in the house.  And like I always say, a snake in the house is better than a snake in the grass.  Just kidding, I don't always say that.  This is actually the first time I've ever said that, but I think it's true.

Our snake shed it's skin the other day.  It is fascinating to watch a snake shed, almost a cool as watching a snake eat a mouse, like this.  But I DID NOT appreciate finding a snake skin in a ziplock bag on my kitchen counter the next day.  Gross, but at least it was in a ziplock bag.

This particular 11-year-old boy and his friend went to the almost completely drained canal to look for crayfish.   They didn't find any crayfish, but they did find this treasure. 
 A giant turtle shell buried just under the mud.  That is a real find.  
Now what should we do with this find?  Can we donate it to a museum or something?

11-year-old boys would like to sit and play video games, but if they have good mothers (sometimes interpreted as as mean mothers by their 11-year-old-sons), they are encouraged to be more productive in their play.  These particular 11-year-old boys decided to try an make a go-cart out of a pair of crutches and old lawnmower wheels.  
I'm not exactly sure what the plan for the body of the car was, but like I said, 11-year-old boys need projects to work on.

That being said, 11-year-old boys should not be free to research homemade bombs on the computer.   I'll just hope it was a momentary, intense interest in chemistry.  That's why the computer is kept in an open, central area of the house.

2 comments:

Mothership said...

Hahahaha. Remember my boy's first blog post? Something about blowing up the world. It was visited by the military. I'm sure when they saw the age of the author they rolled their eyes and said, "Another boy . . ."

You are a good and patient mother with all the wildlife. Really. We have fish.

Amy F. said...

The bomb comment got me seriously laughing! John is only 5 and has more "weapons" than actual toys.