Friday, November 5, 2010

Sicky-Poo George

Abe was sick with a cold.  Sad.   But he's a grown man who insists on eating Halloween candy and Diet Pepsi late at night, so what do you expect?  He's better now.

Clark was sick with a cold.  Sadder.  He insisted on waking up too early in the morning to work on his school work.  He said it ruined his whole day if he got started too late.  Weird , I know.  Hard to blame him for being overly  responsible.  He's mostly better now. 


George is sick with a cold.  SADDEST OF ALL.  He is in no way to blame-- his own family infected him!   His eyes are all red and puffy.  He regularly sneezes four times in a row.  He is snorty and sniffly and drooly.  He's napping worse than usual, which means he catnaps for 5 minutes instead of 10.  He does like to be slathered up with Baby Vicks Vapo Rub and then wrapped up in his blankie. 

Three happy thoughts for my day:
1.  The advertisements for the grocery stores this week are full of sales on holiday baking items.  It's almost enough to make me excited to go grocery shopping.  Almost.

2.  I heard Christmas music for the first time of the season today.  I still think it is a little wrong to listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, only because then it isn't fresh and new come December.  It's a personal preference and I know Abe would listen to the Osmond Family Christmas album all year long, and yet we are still happily married.  But we indulged ourselves in the car today and listened to just a few.  I will now declare (early in the season, I know, to make such a declaration), what is the MOST OVERPLAYED, OVER PRODUCED Christmas song.  "Little Drummer Boy".  I liked it when I was a kid, but it bores me to tears now.  And quite frankly, I don't get the song.  Why is the boy drumming?  What does it have to do with shepherds, or the Holy Family, or stars, or angels, or anything?  And it just repeats over and over and over again.  Maybe I should go look up the lyrics.  Maybe I'm missing something.  But it just drones on.  I'm sorry to be so harsh, but there it is.  

Okay, I looked it up and I guess it makes a little bit of sense.  Just a little.

3.  After a while of listening to the Christmas songs, I turned the radio to something more worldly.  The song "Dancing With Myself" by Billy Idol was on.  I hadn't heard that song in years and it happily reminded me of  Youth Dances in California.  I wanted to go home and dance with myself, but I had sleepy, fussy little ones who needed naps.  Not a good time to dance with myself.  Maybe later. 

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I love the Osmond Christmas Album -but not until December. Sure hopw you're all feeling better soon.

Amy F. said...

The Little Drummer Boy is Jesse's favorite Christmas song. He would love to try to convince you of it's greatness. :)

We're sorry you're sick at your house. We hope you get better soon!