Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Warm-Up

I've written often about Barbara and Allison.  Although they are not technically related to us, they are family.  They have been friends to my family since Allison and I were 13 years old.  Barbara is a Grandma to my children and Allison is an aunt.  For several years they have spoiled us all at Christmas time.  This past Saturday was our traditional Christmas meal and gift exchange.  Barbara has been so kind to my siblings and I by celebrating Christmas with us in much the same ways my own mother did.  She loved my mom and we all enjoy sharing "mom" memories.
The most remarkable gift of the day for Brig and I was a beautiful book Barbara put together of pictures of my mom and memories written by her family and friends.  The tears flowed freely and I was mesmerized reading the stories.  
Do you ever feel like you cannot possibly keep up with all the good things other people do for you?  I'm feeling that way a lot these days.  I am amazed with the good people in our lives.  
I'm feeling a little mushy right now.  I think I might cry.  
The girls with their matching jammies, crocheted hats, beaded watches and webkins.  See what I mean?  Spoiled rotten.  And that wasn't even everything. 
Cannon got this firetruck.  BIG HIT!  All 2-year old boys need a firetruck to play with.  And the cars?  He loves them, sleeps with them, eats with them and refers to them by name.  The boys all got matching ties.
 
Does George look like one of my babies or what?  There's a pretty strong family resemblance.  
This picture is priceless to me.  My kids won't get to know my mother here on earth, but to have a dear friend of my mother's who loves my kids and can help them know of her is a blessing.
She crocheted this sweater.  Can you believe that?  Precious.  And Georgie looked so yummy in it on Sunday.
On Sunday my family was sporting the Barbara and Allison collection of church wear.  She made the girls skirts and gave them matching shirts as well.  George wore his new sweater and the boys had their matching ties.  
I'm telling you, spoiled rotten. And not just gifts, but really, really thoughtful gifts. 
Christmas morning might be a real disappointment after Christmas with Barbara and Allison.  I'm afraid Santa isn't quite as talented or thoughtful. 

Do you understand why I am feeling overwhelmed by so much goodness and generosity?

Barbara and Allison:  Thank you!  We love you!

3 comments:

Ali said...

So I am sitting here at work crying as I read this post and look at the beautiful pictures you took! It was such a special day and I am so glad we all have each other! Truly a blessing! Thank you to you and your amazing family!

I love you guys so much!

Gabrielle Kim said...

I am in awe that she made all of that! George was so cute on Sunday! What amazing and kind people.
If she wants more adopted grandkids, we are available!

Abe Fox said...

Notice that we couldn't get those cars out of Cannon's hands even for church!!

THANK YOU Barbara!!
THANK YOU Allison!!

You are Amazing and Wonderful members of our family!!