Thursday, December 9, 2010

Maybe Christmas Means a Little Bit More

      (Abe and Clark were Shepherds in the Ward Nativity Program)

 This past Saturday (after the Ward Breakfast Christmas activity) I went out and about for most of the day getting some Christmas shopping done.  Sadly, it didn't do much for my Christmas spirit.  Shopping is overstimulating, overwhelming, and unfulfilling to me.  So many decisions to make!  Maybe it is this way for everyone, but I find it very challenging to pick out the perfect gift (for the perfect price) out of SO MANY choices.  Is there such a thing as shopping ADD?  Not being able to pick out the right gift from all the other gifts.  I think I might have that. 

Fortunately for me, I went to church on Sunday and got a good healthy dose of true Christmas spirit.  Then on Sunday evening, with my people, I watched the First Presidency's Christmas devotional and it was marvelous!   "Oh Martha!  Oh Christmas!" (quote from The Grinch movie with Jim Carrey).

It's not "cute" when a ten-year-old who "knows" about Christmas, relentlessly rattles off lists of Christmas wishes.  But it's DARLING when a two-year-old starts to grasp the idea of Santa Claus.  "Santa bring me tractor?  Santa bring me guns!  Santa bring me cars!  Santa bring me legos?"

  Oh it's going to be a fun Christmas morning at our house this year.

We had several doctor appointments this week.  Elinor had her arm mole removed.  George had his four month check-up.  But the biggest of all-- Bethany had an appointment with the cardiologist to check on her heart murmur.  It was good news and the doctor was very doubtful that surgery would ever be needed.  With our family history, they'll still check it every few years, but so far so good.  
George at four months.  He still loves to be burrito wrapped to go to sleep.  Don't worry, he's strong enough to get out when he wants to. 

2 comments:

Mothership said...

Oh, what a priceless picture of you and your darling boy! You are a wonderful mother, Betsy.

Here's what you did wrong with the shopping: SATURDAY. (: Never, never go to any store on Saturday.

jkmilligan said...

I'm with you on the Christmas ADD thing, it's all very overwhelming to me too! That's great news about Bethany! I bet you are so glad!