Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pavlov Would Be So Proud

You are probably familiar with Pavlov's salivating dogs.  He was a Russian physiologist.  By always ringing a bell when he fed his dogs, he conditioned the dogs to salivate just by ringing a bell.

Today we began our own little science experiment.  We are "conditioning" Cannon to use the potty.  I'm setting my cell phone alarm to go off every half an hour.  When the phone beeps we call it the "Potty Train Whistle" and he has to run and go sit on the potty.
Whenever the alarm goes off I immediately restart the 30 minute countdown and so it continued all day today.  But we ran into a problem at nap time and bed time--as I had forgotten to turn off the repeating alarm.  Cannon would be in bed and he'd hear the alarm downstairs and start yelling, "I NEED GO POTTY!"  He would not settle down until he had sat on the potty.

Pretty good, huh?  Just the sound of the alarm is enough to trigger the bladder!!!

Take that, Pavlov!

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

I really need to potty train Jessica. It's so much work! Can I send her to your house. I'll proudly offer her up for science's sake!