Monday, January 24, 2011

Surviving Homeschool in the Winter

We are in the THICK of Winter.  I understand that the year is divided into four seasons, but ZOINKERS-- Winter seems to last three times as long as any other season! 

In warmer seasons the kids are anxious to be outside on the trampoline or climbing the cottonwood tree in the front yard.  They like to escape outdoors and it's like herding cats to get them back inside to get their school work done.   On the plus side, they will usually get their work done quickly so they can head out ASAP.

Homeschooling in the Winter has it's drawbacks, but there are some delights as well-- I just have to look a little harder for them.

They're finding various activities to amuse themselves. 
The cleanliness of the house tends to suffer greatly from their amusement, but I am usually so impressed with their ingenuity, that I can't deny them their projects.
Bethany and Elinor created bows and arrows for everyone to play "Indians" with.
We are always on the look out for ways to burn energy.  The kids value anything they can swing on, bounce on, jump off, roll over, ride on, or slide down.  They regularly saddle one another to ride as a horse.
We're making and eating too many treats.  All three little ladies are very anxious to help out in the kitchen.
 Dress up is the order of the day everyday.  It is getting a bit out of hand and I'm considering a temporary ban on all dress up clothes. 

But where to draw the line?  Old dance costumes clearly would be included in the ban, but what about towels?  In this picture they are used as cloaks, so does that count as dress up?  Sheets are turned into togas.  Need I confiscate all the linens as well?  What about my clothing?  They love how my clothes drape over them. 

It's a losing battle. 

And I'm entertaining myself this Winter by styling my hair as famous literary characters.  Here I am as Bertha from Jane Eyre.  Don't be frightened.
Aaaaaahhhhh!!  How could you not be frightened?  Ha ha ha!  This is my hair "au natural".  Try not to be envious.

"My hair use to have a mind of it's own". (an old Pantene commercial).  Ha ha ha!  (forgive me, it's getting late).

But here's what I'm spending most of my waking-- and sleeping-- moments doing. . .

And on that thought-- I'm off to bed.

No comments: