Monday, February 14, 2011

KISS

I am not thinking about Valentine's smooching.  Rather I am thinking of the acronym KISS--

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Albert Einstein's maxim that "everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

Antoine de Saint Exupéry said, "It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away".

And my favorite, Leonardo Da Vinci's "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication".

I was just looking at a homeschooling blog.  It gave me the heebeejeebees!  This author made it seem very complicated.  It made my stomach hurt as I thought, "Good heavens!  Am I suppose to be doing all that???"  Fortunately, just before I went into a full scale panic attack I remembered my favorite quotes on simplicity.

KISS.  I do not believe education has to be that complicated.  Is it hard work?  Yes.  Does it take a lot of time.  Oh, yes.  Is it boring sometimes?  Sadly, yes.

But today, I shall reveal to the world my educational philosophy.  Brace yourselves-- it may be quite shocking.  Shockingly simple!  Also keep in mind that this is my philosophy based in the age and stage of my people right now.  I may change my ideas as my kids get older.

I do believe there are some subjects that are necessary, but not necessarily much fun to learn.  For me and my house these include:  Spelling, grammar, handwriting, math (fun to some, but not all).  These are the "cinder blocks of education".  Imagine the cinder blocks lying side by side in a giant square on the ground. They are the base.  By themselves they are wiggly and wobbly-- not very solid.  These subjects must be done very regularly, if not every day.  It's like practicing a musical instrument-- just practice it regularly and your skill improves and you get better and better.  Not that much fun, but not that bad if you just keep at it.

The other subjects are much more fun-- history, science, social studies, literature, writing, computer skills, and art.  These subjects are like pouring sand over the cinder blocks.  The sand easily fills in all the cracks and holes and really solidifies the cinder blocks.  The sand by itself without the blocks wouldn't be very solid, but when they are put together it makes a solid education.

My preference for getting that "sand", or the fun subjects is to read real, living books.  Books written by a single author who has a passion for the subject.  I don't think you have to stress about what order to read the books in.  Who cares if this week you read all about the Aztecs and the next week you read a book about ancient Egypt?  They are both fascinating!  We like to talk about when things were happening--"before this, but after that".  I am fairly certain my brilliant kiddos will sort it all out.  Besides in our reading together I am learning SO MUCH that I had heard of, but couldn't possibly have put onto a time line myself-- and I am college graduate!  Go figure.

This cinder block and sand philosophy is put into action at our house by the three oldest each being assigned a certain amount of "cinder block subjects" each day.  I say what books and workbooks and how much.  They are tested on spelling words and I check all their work and they must make any corrections.  They don't love it, but they don't hate it.  Well, some days they might hate it, but they like seeing their skills in those areas improve. 

Then they have "sand subjects".   They have an assigned amount of time they need to read.  One and half hours for Clark and Bethany.  They can read what they want (within reason) for 45 minutes and read something a bit more academic (that I approve) for the other 45 minutes.   They must write in their journal twice a week.  They must turn in a weekly report.  The parameters for that are very broad: "Something of interest to you--as long as something of interest to you has correct spelling, grammar and punctuation".  We read history stories daily.  We always have a family read aloud going.

Here's another quote that speaks to me.
“All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.” - Sir Walter Scott

I feel very strongly that people, even children should get as much choice in their life as possible.  Why not let them choose what interests them.  Children aren't going to remember all the little details of history and social studies they learn, but they will remember that they were trusted to make good choices with their time and energy.  I require the time, but they can choose the content (sand).  Except when I choose the content and then they take the necessary time to complete it correctly (cinder blocks).  Sometimes it takes all day, but then they don't get to do the fun stuff and they have me nagging them all day.  I annoy myself on those days.


My top two influences for homeschooling methods are Charlotte Mason and Thomas Jefferson Education.  My ideas seem simple to me-- we have a basic structure in place, but I don't have to rethink things all the time.  There isn't a ton of school work for me to check and keep track of.  I don't have to think through structured unit studies. The kids are responsible to get their work done and have lots of time to do what is of interest to them.   My hope is to create a culture of learning, with the discipline necessary to jump through the necessary hoops of life--ACT tests, AP tests, preparations for college.  
   
There it is.  This is what we do.  I completely understand and respect that other families have wonderful ideas and systems that work for them.  I appreciate all my homeschooling and non-homeschooling friends and family over the years that have shared their ideas on education with me.  Whatever method we all choose, the most important thing is that the children feel they are loved.  It is most important that we teach them who they are and what they can do. I am so glad we have the freedom to choose what we think is the best way to do that.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

I love this post. As I am trying to figure out my own philosophy for homeschooling, it can get a bit daunting to see all that some people are doing. I really appreciate your thoughts. It makes it a lot simpler in my mind and less overwhelming. I love how you said the most important thing is that children feel they are loved. I also agree with the idea of allowing them a lot of freedom to choose. Thank you so much for sharing!

Gabrielle Kim said...

I really love your philosophy on homeschooling. It's an approach that we seem to be morphing into in our own school "routine".
I love having experienced homeschool moms around me, it helps a newbie mom like myself a lot!

Inspiration Station said...

I went back today to find this post because I need some ideas to simplify our homeschool. Thank you Betsy! I would love to hear what books you use specifically for the cinder blocks. I am feeling overwhelmed with having to plan so much in our homeschool and would love to provide for interests for my children.