Monday, March 28, 2011

Never Say Never

This evening we did have dinner together, but it wasn't a fancy sit-down affair.  A few of us had left-overs (from a fancy sit-down affair).  A few had canned chili (I think it's gross, but they like it).  Cannon took a late nap, so when he woke up he needed food.  We knew he would refuse the left-overs and wouldn't even consider chili, so Abe kindly made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Just before he gave it to Cannon I mentioned that Abe needed to cut off the crust or Cannon would take a couple of bites from the middle and leave the rest.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME????

When the older kids were little there was NO WAY I would cut off crusts for them.  I have had a little saying to deal with picky eaters:  Picky people can pick. 

Having been a picky eater as a child and even a bit now as an adult, I can totally understand that some foods do not taste good to some taste buds.  Children, feel free to pick anything off that is offensive to you-- just do so quietly.  I am not going to force anyone to eat something that is truly detestable, but I'm not going to make you special foods either.  Never say never.  I think I also swore off toy guns and Barbies when Clark was in utero.  Ha!

Seriously, what has happened to me? Why am I gladly cutting the crusts off my little kids' sandwiches?  I think it is Cannon's fault.  He has broken me down. 
He really likes his tie.  My, my, aren't they handsome?
Such lovely dresses from Grandma Barbara.  Such lovely girls.
My cup runneth over.
Isn't this sweet?   My Man-Child is letting his littlest sister play with him and his friends on the trampoline.  Oh wait... I think he's holding her hostage... never mind.
Grandpa the Fisherman took Clark and Elinor fishing for many hours on Saturday.  They returned very late with one hefty fish, which Clark grilled up all by himself on Sunday afternoon.  
Bethany made peanut butter cookies all by herself on Sunday evening.
Elinor made cornbread muffins all by herself this evening.
Do you see where I 'm going with this?  The way I figure it, the more they cook, the less I have to cook!  I like cooking when I have plenty of time to putter around the kitchen and create masterpieces, but that is not the norm.  So I would like them to cook A LOT.

When the kids cook in the kitchen it is best if I get out of dodge.  They can ask me questions, but my absence prevents my comments that might damage their fledgling interest in cooking.  I figure they can read the recipe and if they mess up-- well, it's not like I never messed up a recipe. 

No comments: