Friday, April 22, 2011

Great Plains Adventure Day 1

Have you ever been on a boat for several hours or days and then when you get back on land it takes a while to get your land legs back?  As I sit here in the dark waiting for little people to fall asleep I am feeling some motion sickness because I still feel like I'm swaying with the moving vehicle.  It's rather a disturbing feeling, but I'm sure it will pass-- or perhaps it will rock me to sleep.
WE ARE OFF!  Our Great Plains adventure has begun.  We drove for about 12 hours today and only one person threw up--SUCCESS!!  We are traveling in a massive van that comfortably seats all of us and all our gear- which is considerable. 
The van looks gargantuous at this angle, but it is pretty dang big however you look at it.  Have I ever mentioned that this is my dream car.  I'm dead serious.  *Sigh*--someday.
Do not be alarmed!.  He actually did pretty well on the drive today.  But I think there was some built up tension that could only be released through hotel-bed-kung-fu-fighting.  He's mentally preparing for battle in the picture.
 Life According to Bethany advice tip:  Having to sleep in a strange hotel room in Kansas with your parents and five siblings is no reason to let your sense of style and organization go!
Forget anything I've ever said against D&D.  It is a source of comfort and solace to Clark when he is away from his normal routine.  He tends to like routine.
Strengthening the bonds of sisterly affection.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!  I must post this picture of peace and tranquility because I'm certain I'll need to refer back to it regularly throughout the course of this trip as I hear, "Don't do that!"  "That's mine!"  "I'm going to tell Mom!"  
You've all heard it-- you know what I mean.

I present to you, Abe-- The Trip Mastermind!  He is a genius, and like all true geniuses there is some mental self-torment involved in the process, but the result is a beautiful thing.  He has researched the bejeebers out of this trip and we have a plan!  Now the key to a great trip lies in keeping the natives rested and fed.  That's where I come in.  
Tomorrow we only have a half day of driving (we can do it!) and then we'll look forward to spending Easter with Abe's brother's family (Russell and Melissa) in Wichita, Kansas.

5 comments:

Abe Fox said...

"Moby the Motorhome" ROCKS!!! I, of course, know our very large, white rented vehicle is not a true RV.....just the greatest 15 passenger-van EVER....that's all.

Wichita, here we come!!

Andrea said...

Glad to see you had a good first day! We flew in to STL and got out of town just before a tornado hit the airport tonight. It broke glass in the airport and flipped cars in the parking lot. Sounds exciting, but I'm glad we had a peaceful drive to Springfield Il. See you soon!

Ali said...

I am so glad things are going well so far! Have a great holiday tomorrow! Love you guys!

Amy F. said...

Okay, so I am now going to comment on all of your trip posts. Holy Mackerel!!! You guys packed more fun stuff into that week and a half than we've done all year. Note to self...have more fun. I have to say I chuckled at the fact that D&D is a comforting thing to Clark (he is a Fox afterall), also, the doll in her own bed on the floor was indicative of your clever and funny children. We're Elinor and Bethany doing Math-U-See? Good girls!

Abe Fox said...

Actually, Beth and Els were writing poetry in their sofa-sleeper and then sharing the poems with us. They really got into in on this trip.