Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Meet Me in St. Louis, Louie -- Day 6


We left Nauvoo (sniff, sniff) early this morning and headed straight for Carthage, IL-- about 25 miles.  We watched a wonderful movie and had a tour there.  It was a perfect way to finish up our Church History leg of the trip.  
Clark is standing by the bullet hole that killed Hyrum Smith.
Here we are at the window that Joseph Smith fell out of after the mob burst into the jail and shot him.  I am so grateful to be able to come here with my family and have it preserved so beautifully.  
On the drive to St. Louis we stopped very briefly for a gas and potty break at Hannibal, MO.   It is the boyhood home of Samuel Clements, otherwise known as Mark Twain.   We stopped at the gift store in the museum, but didn't go through the museum.  We snapped this picture at a statue of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and then hurried on our way.  Obviously we didn't do the town justice, but I have to be honest here.  I have very mixed feelings about Mark Twain.  I like some of what he's written, but I always feel like he is making fun of me.  Sometimes I'm not quite sure what he is making fun of, but it makes me a bit nervous.  I find him too cynical for my taste. 
Finally, we and the rest of Pi Pod arrived in St. Louis amidst lots of rain.  The boys were ecstatic to get over to the convention center and set up their "pit".  That is where they show off the great state of Utah and meet other teams from all over the world.  The teams surrounding them are Australia, Malaysia, Florida, and Israel.  China is just down the aisle!!!! Can you believe that??? 

There are a few more pictures, but the server here in the hotel is going aggravatingly slow, so I'll work them into a later post.   The hour is late and the morning will come early.

1 comment:

Mothership said...

Aahahahaha! You think Mark Twain is making fun of you? Oh, he would love that! I have always loved him. I think he is funny and quick and sassy--and I tend toward the sassy side myself. But, you're right, he can be a bit sharp at times. Thanks for sharing the journey with us. (You didn't miss much in Hannibal. After the church history sites, no one can compete. Not only the history, but the church does such an amazing job restoring and beautifying.