Monday, April 25, 2011

Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo-- GPA Day 4

 Abe said we were going to be on the road by 6:00 this morning.   I know he takes his trip departure time very seriously, so although it was 6:09 when we finally pulled away, we did get an early start.  And a good thing too because it has been a very long day.  Good, but long.
 First stop:  Liberty Jail in Liberty, Missouri.
It was a very nice display at The Church's Visitor's Center and I feel it was the highlight of the day.  That is probably because everyone was still fresh from a good night's sleep and not too much driving.  Yet.
Then came the driving.  It was a good 10 hour driving day again today.  There just is no easy, fast way to get to Nauvoo.  It is worth it to come here-- it's amazing, but you have to really want to get here.  Missouri is beautiful to drive through-- so lush and green.  We did have a LOT of rain for most of our drive today.  Not so nice, but I prefer rain to major wind, which we've also had on this trip.
Yes, I know this is a beyond cheesy picture.  I'm okay with that.  I like this statue and I feel it is very apropos.
 We couldn't help ourselves.  Bethany wanted her violin for this picture.  What do you think?  I got my head angle pretty good, huh?
The kids were so happy to meet up with their friends and fellow Pi Pod team members in Nauvoo.  Another family is here right now as well and the kids are tickled to be staying in a hotel with their friends.  It's as close to a sleep over as they're going to get!
  Everything closes down at 5:00 round these parts, so we quickly went over to the Brigham Young House to see our many times great-grandfather's house.  We are both descendants of Brigham Young.  Abe likes to note that he is descended from Brother Brigham's first wife.  I just mention that mine was younger and prettier:)
At this point of the trip Cannon is not doing so well.  He's been a hoot for the whole trip, but all the driving and excitement and lack of sleep caught up with him this evening.  I am concerned for our tours around Nauvoo tomorrow because he is talking a blue streak to anyone who will listen and then some. 
We went to a super cute little musical play put on by the senior missionary couples called "Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo".  Abe and I are sure the whole thing was good, although we each just saw part of it and took turns outside with Cannon and George.  They were allowed into the show, but they were a bit disruptive.  Shocking that a baby and toddler could be disruptive during a play.
 Happiness is a hotel pool!
The kiddos weren't the only ones who were happy to see their friends again.

2 comments:

Abe Fox said...

I absolutely LOVE that family picture of ALL eight of us sitting in front of the rebuilt Liberty Jail.

First, it's a GREAT pic, but second, I love that the last time Bets and I were there was 1998 on a spring-break-college-road-trip.....just the 2 of us....NO kids.....now look at us!!!!

Loving this trip!!!

Mothership said...

I didn't know your history with the place, but I loved that picture, too. You know I went to a semester in Nauvoo and love that place. I can't wait to bring my family there, too. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's pictures!