Monday, May 2, 2011

Dakota! Dakota!---GPA Day 11

We've seen a lot of interesting things on the trip, but this was just COOL. Right off of I-90 on our way from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Rapid City we stopped at the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site.  It is an underground nuclear missile control center for several missile silos in the area.  Of course it is no longer active, but it was from 1963-1991.  Talk about a piece of Cold War history!
Abe and I were children at the end of the Cold War, but especially because I lived in Berlin, Germany as a child, we got a little taste of it.  I remember the bad guys in movies were always Russians.  It was strange to realize that our children really have no frame of reference for the Cold War.
This is painted on the launch control room door that was 4 feet thick.  The security measures they had in place were intense.
From the control center we drove 11 miles to look down the missile silo at a bomb-less missile.
Next we took a drive through the Badlands.  Who knew there was so much to do in South Dakota?
Have you ever heard of Wall Drug Store?  It's the world's largest drug store-- quite the distinction!
I'm not sure what to say-- It is big.  It sells cool stuff.  We felt compelled to stop, but we didn't buy anything.  So we left feeling it was a giant tourist trap out in the middle of nowhere and rather a waste of time for us.  But truth be told, I was really hungry and grouchy at this point, so disregard my opinion.
A big piece of the Berlin Wall resides in Rapid City, SD.  Why?  I don't know-- I haven't done my research yet, but I got my picture by it nonetheless.
Throughout a couple of city blocks they have statues of all the former presidents of the United States-- thus the nickname "The City of Presidents".   Georgie got his picture taken with George Washington.  
Did you know that Reptile Gardens hosts the largest collection of reptiles in the world?
Who knew?
Clark knew.
We went there today and it was glorious!  And I quote--"This is heaven!"
 We had a private (only because no one else was there) snake show and I was reminded just how much my freaky family already knows about snakes.  Everybody was missing our pet snake back home. 
The cobra was impressive.  In fact, I've never seen so many venomous snakes in all my life.  
To say that Clark was happy to be there would be a gross understatement.  He saved most of his trip money to spend in the Reptile Gardens gift shop.
  We enjoyed a sit down pizza dinner here in Keystone and then swimming at the hotel.
Then a little movie time to relax.

Then A LOT of sleep-- hopefully.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

What a perfect hands on learning, homeschool day!