Sunday, May 29, 2011

I Am Mother, Hear Me Roar

I had 3 things I wanted to do this afternoon.  They were calm, lovely, soothing things.  They were uplifting, rejuvenating, good things.

In no particular order I wanted to read my book, take a nap, and watch Lark Rise to Candleford (English period drama).  I didn't really think all three would happen, but maybe one and a half? 

"Children, I want you to play quietly in the family room.  You don't have to do any picking up.  You can completely trash the family room with your toys.  Feel free to graze in the kitchen for any food you want to eat.  Yes, you may watch a Sunday kind of show.  I will let you do just about anything you want-- just don't argue and be relatively quiet.  This is a good deal.  I suggest you take it.  Another offer like this is not likely to come around for a few weeks.  Complete freedom in exchange for your silence!"

There were no takers. They were-- how shall I say?-- high maintenance children today.   I didn't get to do any of my soothing, relaxing, lovely, uplifting things.  POOK!  They just couldn't leave well enough alone.  Cannon was--- how shall I say?-- a little monster after his day of showering gifts and attention on him.
THAT'S IT!  No more fun for you, little mister!

Kids!  I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!!  
So I said to myself,  if I don't get to relax-- NOBODY GETS TO RELAX!!!!

Enter:  Sargeant Mom!
Sargeant Mom is an imposing woman.  She strikes fear into all those she commands.  She rarely resorts to violence, as her intense and forceful voice is sufficiently powerful.  (That's a nice way of describing "yelling")  Sargeant Mom is able to summon the troops, mastermind and execute the picking up of the family room, playroom, living room, and kitchen is roughly 20 minutes.  It's not pretty and I don't like to go there, but Sargeant Mom is very effective.  She gets the job done. Dear children, if it is my attention that you need-- Oh, you will get it! 

Fine!  I will make you dinner if grazing is not what your delicate pallet desires.  But so help me if even one of you offers up one single complaint about what you are served! 

Now dear children,  all is not lost.  Tomorrow is a holiday and you will have a chance to redeem yourselves.  If you let me do even one of my lovely, soothing, relaxing, uplifting things, all will be right again.  Sleep well little ones... and consider!  Consider what excitement and freedom awaits you if you will but let your mama have a moment.

2 comments:

Mothership said...

I am watching Lark Rise, too! Loving it; it is so soothing and lovely and gentle. I fold clothes when I watch TV, so this series is good for my laundry pile.

Good luck tomorrow.

Amy F. said...

I need a little more sargeant mom at my house. My kids aren't working as hard as they could be. It's very easy to let them play since they do so many creative things, but the house is mostly messy and we have school to do!!! I feel you Bets.