Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Our Utah group was rather small for the traditional gathering at the cemetery.  My dad, our family, Uncle Lane and Aunt Diane, cousin Kathryn, cousin Christy and Matt (who are not in this picture because they came late) and their boys.
We really look forward to this activity each year-- rain or shine.  And it seems we've had more bad weather than good for the past several years.  It was still wonderful, even with a smaller group.  And on a side note-- there are not very many women I feel short around.  It is somewhat refreshing!
Georgie's first Memorial Day.  Awwww.
It was cold so Grandpa shared his ear warmers with Faith and Cannon.  I'm not sure if he tried to dissuade them or not, but perhaps he sensed resistance was futile.
All right, friends.  We need to have a little informal poll.  How do you feel about bagpipe players at cemeteries?  My dad, never one to be shy about expressing opinions, does not like them.  And I quote, "What gives him the right to destroy my peace?"  
Um, I don't feel quite so strongly about it, but it did raise the questions, does the cemetery pay for this guy to come?  Or does he just volunteer his services?   Does he have a band of bagpipe playing friends who spread out across the valley on Memorial Day to help with the ambiance of the cemeteries?  And why should the Scottish corner the market on grave site music?  Could anyone bring out their violin or flute, guitar or trombone and provide the same service?  

What do you think?  Do you like the bagpipe player at the cemetery?
I like George.
Like father, like son.  
This was right by Abe's great-grandparents, Mary Leona Johnson Jolley and Jesse Levi Jolley.  Sadly, we didn't meet up with any Jolley family this year.  
Abe headed back to work for the afternoon while Grandpa and the kids and I went to Memory Grove to visit my Great-Uncle Hugh's memorial.  He was 21 years old when he died in a WWII naval battle in the Pacific.  Grandpa grabbed a few twigs and bark pieces and mapped out what happened in the battle and how Uncle Hugh's ship sacrificed itself so that several other American ships could get away.  Clark had a lot of questions about the war that Grandpa could answer for him.
As per tradition, we enjoyed a fun lunch together.  Remember that I told you that my dad wasn't exactly the shy and retiring type?  He's on the school board in Davis County and I casually asked, "So Dad, are you stirring any pots on the school board lately?"

Oh, yeah!  Makes for good lunch conversation and I think the kids enjoy the drama. 

Yesterday I logged a pretty serious complaint here on the blog that I didn't get to do any of the lovely, relaxing things I wanted to do yesterday afternoon.  I am happy to announce that I did indeed get to take a happy nappy this afternoon while my little boys slept.  Oh happy day!!!  Lark Rise to Candleford--- HERE I COME!!!!!!

5 comments:

Mothership said...

So sorry to your dad, but I LOVE bagpipes at the cemetery/funeral. The couple of times I have been familiar with the circumstances, the pipers volunteer. Maybe it's my 1/64 Scottish blood.

When we went over the weekend, the Air Force Band was playing a concert. They played traditional band music including the armed forces songs. It was beautiful and very touching, especially with the hundreds of flags floating in the Memorial Day breeze. It set a patriotic and reverent feel for the afternoon.

Amy F. said...

I don't have a strong opinion about the bagpiper either way. It would bother me if he was a poor bagpiper though. He needs to sound good of course. I'm glad that you have this tradition and I am glad that you also got a nap. :)

Bonita said...

I like the bagpipes at the funeral...but I've never seen them just randomly playing at cemeteries. Must be a Utah thing. Wait..I'm in Utah and I've NEVER seen them. Weird.

Matt and Misty said...

We seriously almost bought some last minute flights to Utah so that we could be there for Memorial Day but in the end they were a little too spendy. Its times like this that me miss being in Utah.

Marj said...

Betsy I just watched most of Larkrise to Candleford. Kerrie (Folsom) suggested it. The problem was that I watched a little too much too often. Not my favorite BBC but a good one.
We too went to grave sites on Memorial day.