Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boo Hoo

 I should not be awake right now.  I should be sleeping comfortably in my soft, cozy bed.  Sadly I am not.  I am in pain.  Boo hoo.  Over the past few hours my very slight sniffles and sneezes have exploded into a full blown head cold with major sinus pain.  Owwww!  My teeth ache, my eyes ache. 

My mom had sinus troubles and I'm afraid I'm headed that direction.  I can take the discomfort of a cold, but the pain of sinuses is another thing.

Abe is at a late movie with a couple of his brothers, and I am glad he gets to go do something fun, but he is very comforting to me and I like to have him around when I'm sad.  Boo hoo.

I have taken a decongestant and some tylenol and hopefully they will take effect quickly and my pain will lessen, but I doubt much sleep will be coming my way.  The sudafed decongestant makes me crazy.  No really--When I try to sleep it makes me feel like I'm hallucinating all night long.  It's very disconcerting.  Boo hoo.

Other items of note in our family:
--- Cannon is in a VERY bad habit of putting a lot of toilet paper in the toilet after he takes care of business.  I mean A LOT of toilet paper.  It's ugly, not to mention wasteful.  Upon discovery yet another roll of toilet paper disappearing much to fast for even a family of 8, Abe yelled out, "I'm not going to keep buying toilet paper if it's just going to be wasted!"
Really?  I mean seriously, is that a threat that you could possibly follow through on?  Isn't all toilet paper kind of wasted?  Wouldn't that hurt you just as much as it would hurt us?
We will keep purchasing toilet paper-- we'll just have to monitor Cannon's usage a bit tighter.

--- I like technology.  I'm not super tech-savvy, but I'd like to be.  Abe-- not so much.  He likes things how they were circa 1986.  He was 11 then.  His older brother got a Commodore 64 for Christmas.  His brother was cutting edge.  Did that somehow scar Abe?  Was the sibling rivalry too much and sucked Abe into an anti-technology vortex?
For a while now I have been very interested in getting a smart phone, iphone, ipad, anything to help us keep up with the technology that our children will be immersed in.  I could see the benefits in our schooling to have info at our fingertips and not just in bulky books, although I do love books.
Abe wanted nothing to do with it.  We have cells phones that talk.  That's it.  They can let two people talk to one another.  Nothing else.  He purposefully had the texting disabled in his phone, although the guy at the T-Mobile store thought he was a lunatic. Abe told him that texting was going to be the down fall of society.  Now it was confirmed he was dealing with a lunatic.
Both of our phones (Each one is 2-3 years old-- ancient in cell phone years) have been on the fritz the last week or so and we knew it was time to get new phones.  I knew we would just go to the store, pick the very simplest, talk only phones they had and be on our merry way.  I was a little disappointed, but resigned.  But lo and behold!!!!  What does the man I've been married to for almost 14 years say?  "What do you think about getting a smart phone with unlimited talk, text and web?"

WHAT???? Who are you and what have you done with my husband???  What do I think?  I think it would be glorious!

He did a little research and as it turns out we both got smart phones for free, and are paying about $15 dollars more a month, for unlimited everything, than we were for the most basic talk only plan before.
Hallelujah!!!!!!  We picked them up this evening and as we came through the door the children greeted us with shrieks of joy!!!!  I didn't realize we were such a shame to them before.  And I quote Elinor, "Now I can be like all the other children playing games on their parents' phones.  I don't know who those kids are, but I can be like them!"

Good grief.  Where am I going wrong?

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

Enjoy your new toy! Hope you're feeling better, I'll send healing thoughts to you ;0)

Amy F. said...

I hope you're feeling better by now!