Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Many Faces of Abe

Abe has two fears he has developed as he has gotten older:  Aichmophobia-- fear of needles and acrophobia-- fear of heights.  So you can understand why the children and I, who do not suffer from the fear of heights, think it is kind of funny that Abe is horrified of the ferris wheel. 

Perhaps it was dehydration from the heat of the day.  Perhaps his brain was jarred from the several roller coasters.  Perhaps he thought the fear would be lessened without the worry of small children accidentally falling out.  Whatever the reason, Abe wasn't feeling too nervous about riding the ferris wheel at Lagoon.
(Betsy's translation of Abe's thoughts as we ride)  We are beginning our ascent.
"Oh, crumbs!  This was a big mistake."
"Elinor! No! Sit down and hold still!  Do not knock on the seat!"
"This is my worst nightmare.  Oh, no!  Are we stopping at the top?  This is so much worse than I remember."
"I'm going to be sick. ELINOR!  Hold still!"
"I am still the man of this family.  I can do this.  See...?  I am having fun..."
(We are descending and nearing the bottom)
"I am fine.  You all should stop laughing at me."
"You're right.  I've been kind of a wussy pants."
"Ahhhhh.  I am alive.  I will NEVER go on this ride again.  Go ahead and laugh.  I'm on the ground again."
And just to set the record straight-- yes, we were laughing at him.
Each time he says he'll never go on the Ferris wheel again, but for whatever reason he returns time and time again.  He says it is the quintessential  amusement park ride and out of respect he must ride it.  I'm glad  because he's more fun to watch than the surrounding views!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Abe: there's NOTHING wrong with never getting on the instrument of torture...um... Ferris Wheel. Highly overrated ride, IMHO. (You couldn't pay me enough money to get on one.)

Abe Fox said...

Hey, I might add.....the wind was really starting to pick up.....you never know when a freak micro-burst might nail you......just saying.

Melissa, thanks for the support on this one.