Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Odds and Ends

Our 8-11 year old Activity Day girls--including Bethany and Elinor-- went and hiked Ensign Peak this last week.  I was so excited to go with them.  Abe and Clark are doing all sorts of hikes this summer in preparation for the 50-miler scout camp in August.  We ladies were feeling a wee bit left out, so this was good for us.
This is a very satisfying, short hike, but whether or not it is considered "easy" would depend on how good of shape you are in.  Let me just say for myself that there were moments when it didn't feel that easy.  Enough said.
See that young man playing the piano?  He is one of my very talented piano students that will be performing at our piano recital this week.  He plays a very entertaining version of Y.M.C.A.  His siblings and my kids love it when he plays this song, so for the last couple of weeks we've had a Y.M.C.A. dance party when lessons are done. 



 
It is good to have a light moment with piano lessons as things tend to get a little intense leading up to a recital.  I suppose it can be a tough gig to have your mom teach you piano lessons.  I know if they aren't practicing!  Of course, since I am their school teacher also, we're kind of use to working together that way.  I suppose it is a bit of a different mode of operation.
This evening Abe announced that it was "time for bed-- tonight is a school night".
Honest to goodness, Elinor said, "What is a school night?"
How did we miss that key phrase?  Wait!!  Maybe we missed the whole idea of a consistent bedtime!  It's not too late-- maybe we can get that right with George.

2 comments:

Amy F. said...

HaHaHaHa!! I'm cracking up over the school night thing. My kids have totally said things like that. I have to explain things like what is recess or a hall pass. Funny!

Schramm Family said...

We love you guys!!! Thank you for being patient with my kiddos. And, yes.... I pulled the "school night" thing and all I got were strange looks. :)