Saturday, June 11, 2011

Thrill Seekers

We've been looking forward to going to Lagoon to get our latest olde-time family photo-- and here it is!  Everyone was very cooperative.  Clark wanted to be a civil war soldier, but that was 25 years too early for this photo and you know how very authentic and accurate we need these pictures to be.
I like this one too, but we are entirely too happy, so it will never make the olde-time photo wall. 
I'll just admit it.  I love amusement parks.  A few years back I threw a bit of a temper tantrum to Abe when I felt I wasn't getting my fair share of turns on rides because I was always watching the little ones.  Prior to that incident, Abe hadn't realized how much I enjoyed the rides.  But I DO.  I love rides.   So there.
  Abe, being the wise and considerate husband that he is, finally grasped how much I love amusement parks.  He said to me, "I won't even buy a ticket to ride the rides.  I'll just watch the little ones and you can go on all the rides with the older kids."

My dream come true!!!!!  It will be just like when I was a young and carefree teenager!
It was a great plan for me.  I was so excited.

Except...
I've gotten older.  I've had a lot of babies.

The rides were not that fun for me.  They did not make my body feel good.  Sadness!  I'm past my prime for amusement parks.  "No really, Abe.  You go ahead and go on this one.  I'll happily sit with the boys."
 I used to think the zoo train was a waste of time.  But this go around I was so grateful for the very slow moving train.
I knew I was losing some of my adventurous spirit, but I guess it's official now.  I'm not "young" anymore.  I guess I'm good with that.
This was an exciting and new thing to let the three older kids go off on their own to do rides.  Both sides were happy with the arrangement.
Shouldn't it be tragic to see young children pointing guns at one another?  Why do we think it's okay to yell, "Faith, shoot them up!"
Who knows, but they loved this ride. 
At about 4:00 we gratefully took the three youngest kids to my parents house in Farmington.   We then returned with just the five of us for more fun and adventure.  Holy smokes we could move fast!  There was no stroller (weird!) and it was so relaxing to travel around the park with no concern for anyone getting lost.  Abe and I could walk together and hold hands and trust that the children would be there. 
I know amusement parks are kind of trashy.  I would say a great majority of the people need to go put some clothes on.  Really, no one ought to be wearing daisy duke shorts and tube tops under any circumstance anyway.  But since almost no one actually looks good in them, they really should not wear them.  And to the mothers of teenage girls-- would you please advise your daughters on what is appropriate.  You are the parent!  You can and should teach them what is appropriate and enforce it.  (excuse the soapbox moment)

But aside from the trash factor, I have very fond memories of amusement parks with my family as a child.  My dad was a trooper and went on rides with us long after he stopped enjoying the rides.  So although I may be past my prime, I'll continue to ride the rides and enjoy the thrill of the children as they conquer their fears and savor a day of mindless pleasure.

1 comment:

Carl & Sherry Wimmer said...

Betsy, I LOVE your blog! You are so real, and enjoyable to read. But, I just had to make a comment on this one in particular. We just visited Lagoon as a family too. It was such a distraction to see such trashy-laden girls. I hear that Disneyland actually has a dress code. And come to think of it, I don't recall being distracted by young girls with their cheeks hanging out their back pockets while visiting DL last summer. If only Lagoon would do something similar, I wouldn't feel disturbed taking my kids.