Saturday, July 30, 2011

Party! Fiesta! Forever!

Abe and I went to a party last night at our good friends' home- the Flynn family.  Their three children were all gone off to camps all week, so they did what mature, responsible adults do when their children are all gone.  Throw a raucous PARTY late into the evening with all their home schooling friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Lest you think we homeschoolers don't know how to have a good time...It was SO MUCH FUN!!!!  One of the most enjoyable evenings we've had for a long time.  It probably helped that it was adults only, so we could just relax and enjoy the company.  The dinner was catered by Cafe Rio (yum, yum, super yum!).
Pinatas are not just for little kids, you know.  
It can be very cathartic for moms with pent up frustration.  None of this, "Now, let the little kids get some candy, too.  Don't you big kids take it all."
Actually, the adults didn't care much for the candy-- it was the whacking that was so nice.   However, I did appreciate Andrea  throwing some Dove Dark chocolate into the mix for me.  I always appreciate Dove dark chocolate.
Grace and I should probably get out more often.  I don't know from experience, but I understand that someone at an office Christmas party might get drunk and behave in ways they might later regret.  Was this me last night?  Did I get a taste of a fun night out without my little people and get a little tipsy and lose it?  Did I have so much fun that I embarrassed myself?  It is quite possible.
How else can I explain this?  Karaoke with Abe singing "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" from Annie Get Your Gun. 
Except that neither of us sang "better".  We were both absolutely horrible. 
Yep.  I'm pretty sure I just got put on the "Do not invite list".
See how much all these friends are enjoying the entertainment? 
This was several acts after Abe and I, during the actual talent portion of the evening. 

Three things I learned from the fiesta:
1.  I do still like to have a good time.  I'm not quite the old-fogey I was fearing.  It's just that with kids, having fun is a lot of work.
2.  I'm not that much more mature than I was in high school.  Bummer.  I really thought I was doing better. 
3.  We have some really awesome friends and we need to get out with them more often.

Thank you, Flynns.  Party on!

2 comments:

christini yogini said...

That is sooooo cool!!! So glad you all had a great time!!
XO

camfox said...

What a fun party. My favorite part of this post was this:
" I'm not that much more mature than I was in high school. Bummer. I really thought I was doing better."
It made me laugh outloud. I think having kids takes the kid out of me a lot of the time.
My little sister is hilarious- especially when her kids are not around. I think it's just easier to have fun when you don't have to be Mom at that same time.