Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Toy Story 4

Bethany wanted to play a game with me this evening.  I wasn't really in a game playing mood.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I did want to play a certain game I L-O-V-E to play...

It's the ever popular---"Let's throw stuff away" game!  Sometimes this game is played in anger.  You know, as in, "So help me if you don't clean up your toys I will throw them away!"

But that wasn't how the game was played tonight.  There was a spirit of cooperation tonight, and believe it or not this is a favorite for everyone (except Abe--he struggles with this game).  This is how it goes.  I get a trash bag and we go through a room, or closet, or bin of toys (depending on how much energy I have) and we decide what we can get rid of.

Rule #1 is that you do not have to throw away anything you truly love.  If you truly love something, it is safe, no questions.  You must consider if you ever play with, wear, or use something.  You can almost never play the "I want to save it for my children" card.

Rule #2-- When in doubt, throw it out!  Or as we like to quote from Thoroughly Modern Millie, "Chuck it John, just chuck it".  If you do not love it or use it-- get rid of it!

Tonight we got rid of several bags of toys that we don't need/use/love anymore.  I feel so unburdened when we play this game, although I did feel a twinge of guilt thinking of Buzz and Woody as we sent away the toys.  The kids are all very good about parting with "stuff".  Here's the part where I am not such a good mommy.  The kids beg for a garage sale.  "Please let us do a garage sale!  We can make some money!"

I'm sorry.  I'm getting rid of stuff to make my life easier.  A garage sale does not make my life easier.  A trip to the DI to drop off a few garbage bags of junk makes my life easier.  Peddling my wares to my neighbors considerably complicates my life.  Plus, I don't think I could handle the rejection when my neighbors see my stuff for what it really is--JUNK.  Sorry, kids-- no garage sale for me.

Bethany tells me that whenever she plays make-believe games she never lives in a mansion.  She always plays like she is poor and lives in a little cottage where everything is tidy and cozy and everything has its place.  I'm so glad that is your fantasy, sweetheart.  That is a dream I might actually be able to make come true for you!  

In any house, but especially this house, with so many people-- the space must be respected.  It is limited.  I believe there is enough space for our needs and many of our wants.  So long as we do not crowd our surroundings and consequently our minds with that which both moths and rust and dust and dirt and peanut butter fingers and apple juice sippy cups doth corrupt.

2 comments:

camfox said...

You're so good Betsy! I am not as good at parting with things, but I am learning, and I am getting better. I intended to blog about this, but it looks like you're the only one who'll hear about it. My Christmas present to Nathan last year, was to declutter in a major way. I had a friend who thinks just like you that came to help me. With her help, I made trip after trip to the thrift store, and it felt AWESOME! We went from two closets full of toys down to one. And toys weren't the only thing we get rid of. ( Nathan L-O-V-E-D it!) I'm in the middle of more de-junking right now, but I'm not being as productive as you, it seems. Anyway, I'm totally with you on the anti-garage sale policy. But how did you get your kids to be such good sports about getting rid of stuff? Mine I'm afraid have not had as much practice at it as yours- hopefully they'll get better at letting go, the more we work on it. Loved this post. Oh- and my friend who helped me get rid of stuff did not like the concept Toy Story taught her kids :)

Andrea said...

Loved your post! I'm in the middle of playing that game right now too!