Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wholesome Recreation

 
Last night was our "Family Fun Night" with a couple other homeschooling families in our neighborhood.  Another family was in charge of the evening, but we used our backyard for the water festivities.  
Here's a little list of why this was such a grand evening.

--Families got to be together.
--Friends got to be together.
--Cheap. The entire evening, including water balloons and treats, couldn't have cost more than $10.
--Fun for all ages.
--Good, wholesome recreation
--Friendly competitive spirit
--Serious fun
The slip and slide competition was so funny.  There was a practice round and then two judged rounds.  Anyone over 30 was a judge.  We judges were pretty generous-- awarding points for speed, distance, style, attitude, creativity, originality, cuteness, sacrifice, acrobatics, and anything else that pleased us.
Cannon scored very highly, not so much because of his run down the slip-n-slide, but more for his delighted reaction when the judges cheered for him. 
Oooh!  Sliding in the splits position impressed the judges.
Fay-Fay didn't make it so far down the slide, but she scored well in the categories of cuteness and sacrifice since she hit the ground pretty hard.
Oh, I forgot the categories of yummy, squishy, and delicious.  PERFECT 10!!!!
As everyone was arriving the kids went out to check out the "pond".  The two turtles are alive and well!  Do you notice all the lush vegetation surrounding the pond?  Isn't it beautiful?

Yes.  I do know that it is all weeds.   Yes.  I do know that the weeds are actually growing higher than the fence.  Yes, I am aware that it is becoming an eye sore.  No, I don't intend to do anything about it.  Yet, anyway.
The kids did get the turtle out and one of them snapped at my man-child and took a chunk of his finger with him.  Ouch.  Have you ever seen the movie, The Happiest Millionaire?  It is my all-time favorite movie.  The father character keeps alligators and one of them bites his finger.  Here's a line from a song in the movie, "I've been bit on my finger.  It could have been my leg.  It could have been my head, I might have died!"  That's for you, Clark.
We filled up the kiddie pool for kids to play in, but that's not what it got used for.  After a viciously fun water balloon fight, buckets and pool water effectively soaked everybody.
But I'm convinced that she who is the most wet, must be the most loved.  

Or she is just the slowest.