Thursday, August 11, 2011

It Is Official

A man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age.
William Shakespeare

 I spent the evening with a very dear friend I have been close with since our oldest boys were babies.  We celebrate our birthdays by treating one another to dinner and spending an evening window shopping at the Gateway.  For those who aren't from these parts, The Gateway is an upscale outdoor mall.  We have carried on this tradition for years.  It has always been a joy to be with my friend and discuss the joys and trials of family life and raising children.  It has been great fun to walk around the mall, admiring the darling kid's clothes and occasionally getting something for ourselves. 

Now, I have known for quite some time that I wasn't young and hip anymore (really, was I ever?) but as of tonight--I am officially an old-fogey. 

I could have been in a foreign country... or another planet...for as comfortable as I was with the clothing styles, and hairstyles, earrings, etc.  When did the styles change so much?  Have I been living in a hole in the ground?  Where have I been for the last ten years?

Oh, yes.  That's right.  I've been birthing and nursing and homeschooling 6 children. 

Anyway.  I hope to continue our birthday celebrations for many years to come, but I think we may have to pick a new location for our birthday outings.  I just really was not comfortable in my surroundings and I didn't see much that was of redeeming value by way of beauty, virtue, goodness or modesty.  If that makes me an old-fogey--so be it.   I don't see much reason I'll need to go back to The Gateway. 

Besides, I've got plenty of little sweethearts to keep me busy a little closer to home.
And thankfully, I don't actually have to leave the house to get something darling for my little ladies.  A friend tipped me off that these swimsuits were on sale.  I don't mean to brag or anything... but $8.99 swimsuits from Lands End are a steal.  I am so excited!
And this little sweetie got a free ad magazine from a local grocery store.  He calls it his "Super Hero Magazine", and it is worth it's weight in gold at our house.
On Sunday Cannon went to nursery where he was distraught to find his favorite nursery toy, an Iron Man action figure toy, was missing.  Has someone taken it home with them?  It was no where to be found and Cannon wasn't taking "missing" for an answer.  I stopped in the nursery for a moment and he enlisted me to search for Iron Man. 
I hoped to distract him by suggesting an Iron Man toy for Christmas.  He yelled back, "CHRISTMAS!  Yes!  I love Christmas!"
And that was that.  Except that I've planted the seed--the hope-- of Christmas gifts.  All the week I hear him chanting to everyone who will listen, "I just want everything I want for Christmas."

Oh, great.
 Well, it has finally come to this.  We have begun beating Clark.

JUST KIDDING!!  My man-child is playing tackle football, and he is eating it up!  This is after only three practices.  Can you imagine what his arms will look like after two months??? 

I said, "Clark, honey, would you like me to get you some arm  pads?"
He said, "No way!"

He is quite proud of his war wounds.  He is a member of the "meat squad", better known as a  lineman.  He is coming home from practice glowing with delight at being given the opportunity to, and encouraged to munch and crunch and tackle people.  It goes without saying that he is also glowing with lots of perspiration.  He will be practicing 2 hours every week night until the end of August and three nights a week after that.  I'm glad he likes it, because he's going to get a lot of it this Fall.  And hopefully munching and crunching other guys will prevent his feeling the need to munch and crunch his sisters.

2 comments:

Mothership said...

Those suits are DARLING! I want one for myself! I love Land's End. Great quality for the prices (especially when you get a great sale).

Ali said...

I love the swimsuits ... I think we need to go swimming now! ;o) Plus I have a cute new one I bought for my trip!

And OH MY HECK - Clark's arm looks awful! Crazy kid loves his battle wounds?!

And btw I love that right behind Cannon in that picture is a sign that says "Please Stay Out" What is Clark up to now?