Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Super Nanny

There used to be a show on TV (maybe there still is?) called Super Nanny.  A British nanny (think- Mary Poppins) would go to some dysfunctional American family and over the course of a week she would teach the idiotic American parents how to handle their children. 

I confess I kind of liked to to watch this show.  It made me feel like I was doing a really good job with my children.  No British nanny had anything to teach me!

That was before Naomi came to visit us.  
Here's the story.

Quite a few years ago Naomi came from England and was a nanny for a family in Virginia.  My family also lived there and she and my sister became very good friends.  For years now, Naomi has come to Utah for extended visits and stayed with my sister.  Brig told me how great it was to have Naomi there and how helpful she was with the kids and how much they loved her.  

Now I see the goodness.  Apparently, I do have something to learn from the British Nanny.
Such as, how to have a really fun time!  Yesterday was swimming and today was the day of our "English Tea Party".  
She has endless patience with my children.  Especially with Abe being gone this week, the extra hands and extra patience has been much appreciated.
We had cupcakes and cucumber sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly for the less discerning pallets. 
We attempted to make a canopy for our tea party, but due to the wind and my complete lack of talent when it come to any kind of crafting, it didn't work out so well.   It was, however, flowing and lovely nonetheless.
Can you even imagine how excited the ladies were to have a real English tea party with a real English lady?
All right-- I was pretty excited too.
This was the moment of the day,  Just as our big event was getting underway, Naomi received a phone call from her "Mum" back home in London.  The kids all took a turn saying hello to Naomi's Mum.  
 Cannon was last and in a very comfortable, conversational tone says to her,

"Hello?... So...where are you?... So... how are you doing?...I'm Cannon and I'm three...So, how are you doing...I live in Spokane...(we all correct him)... I live in Utah...So, how are you doing?...It's nice to talk to you... Bye-bye."  And he flips the phone closed.  

We were in hysterics!
The funny little guy had a plastic cup to drink out of rather than a very fragile fancy tea cup.  He was just fine with that and said in his best English accent, "I love my English cup!"
We tried to use our good manners for the tea party, but Georgie just shoveled in the goodies as fast as he could.
Delicious!
 
I could get used to have a Super Nanny around a little more often.

3 comments:

christini yogini said...

Absolutely lovely!!!

Schramm Family said...

Ok, where can I get me a real British nanny? I need one of those! You are such a fun mommy. I need to play with the kids more. What a great example you are!

jkmilligan said...

So fun! I want a British Nanny!