Friday, August 19, 2011

A Time to Share

It's time for another sharing time of my innermost thoughts and feelings.  I hope you are comfy as you prepare to be lulled to sleep by my endless drivel. 

The Injustice of It All
Abe is gone to the Fathers' and Sons' Camp Out for our ward.  Theoretically, because we have 3 boys and 3 girls, we should have equally divided the child care responsibilities for the evening.  In fact, I really should have come out ahead, because let's face it--  looking after the 3 girls is a seriously cushy walk in the park compared to the 3 boys.  (In all fairness it is just the 2 younger boys-- thankfully Clark is fairly self-sufficient).  However, since George is a baby and Clark stayed home for football obligations, it worked out that I have five kids and he has one.  Now, it could reasonably be argued that the effort of taking care of one  Cannon is worth five of the other kids, but still.  I'm thinking I probably got the raw end of this deal.

Especially since the five that I have here at home are sick.  Clark is missing football practice and they are all sprawled all over the family room floor moaning while I serve them sips of water and get them blankets.  I suppose the up side is that they aren't teasing or fighting or running around or making messes because they don't feel well.  I would never wish sickness on my people and I do feel bad for their discomfort, but I do enjoy the momentary calm and stillness.  We don't get much calm and stillness round these parts.

The Good Doctor
I took Faith and George to the Dr. yesterday.  Now I ask you:  Why do I ever take my children to the doctor?  Why?  There is never a single thing the doctor can do for them.  I don't say this to discredit the good doctor at all.  In fact, I quite like our doctor.  It's just that I have lost any ability to discern when they need to see a doctor and when they just need to drink plenty of liquids and wait it out.

I'm pretty sure I used to be better at this.  The last 10 times I've taken anyone to the doctor for anything I have left feeling like a complete dunce.  Why do I keep going?  Because I don't want one of my people to have some horrible infection that goes to their brain that a simple antibiotic could have taken care of. 
Faith complained of a bad ear ache for two days so I took her in.  NOTHING.  Her ear looked absolutely perfect.   While we were there I mentioned that she hurt her hand at gymnastics.  The doctor looked and suggested x-rays were in order.  NOTHING!

It's not that I want my people to be ill or be unnecessarily drugged.  I'd just like to save myself the money and the trip to the doctor if there is nothing to be done.   And I'm feeling foolish that I can't tell the difference after six kids.

Hot Lips
Little by little my make-up supply has been dwindling.  I'm a busy woman and I kept forgetting to restock.  I ran out of eye liner.  I ran out of lip gloss.  I never did like my eye shadow, but couldn't remember to buy more for six months.  Consequently, my face was looking decidedly natural.  Not really a good look for me.  I like being a painted lady.  Besides the lack of make-up, my hair is quite long and unruly, so I have been sporting a very unfinished look as of late.
Last night I remembered and stopped into Walgreen's to get what I needed.  I got myself some sort of miracle lipstick.  I put it on as soon as I got out to the car.  I decided I did in fact like the color (not always the case) and then ran a couple of errands and headed home.  The lip color stayed on.  I washed my face and got ready for bed.  The color stayed on.  I went to bed and slept all night.  The color stayed on.  I took a shower and rubbed my lips vigorously.  The lip color remained.  What is this stuff made of?  I am excited about the prospect of such durability, but also a little frightened by it.  It didn't advertise it self as 'permanent'...

I Am the Schoolmarm
School started at our house this week.  If you ask the children they will moan and say 'it's so hard' or 'we don't like doing school', but whatever--they love it.  Or at least they love the more structured day.  Every year I get a little more organized and since I'm not pregnant or caring for a newborn I have been able think more clearly about how to set things up this year.

The trick is getting the kids to be as self motivated and independent as possible for their work.  There is quite a bit of reading we do all together, but the math, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, journal, etc. are things they can work on on their own and just come to me with questions and checking.  They have lovely little binders with lovely little boxes to check off when their lovely work is completed.  Those little check marks are a beautiful thing.

Football Is My Life
I studied sociology in college and have always been intrigued with observing the rules and rituals of different groups.   Groups tend to share a lot of similarities-- the food they eat, clothes they wear, manner of speaking, what they spend their money on, and how they spend their free time.

For example--
Most homeschoolers  are very health conscious with their food choices.  You wouldn't really want to bring your cheetos, sugar-laden chocolate chip cookies and Grandma Sycamore's White bread to the park day picnic.  Not that we would ever eat that stuff.

If you go visit your local LDS (Mormon) ward you probably wouldn't feel comfortable in your tube top and mini skirt.  And you'd want to watch your language.  Potty talk isn't really looked upon favorably.

At the softball field in the Spring you should wear your hoodie and baseball cap.  It's a time to be comfy while you eat your hot dog and nachos.

When you go to the dance recital you know all the mommies will be looking their most fashionable with their ironed hair and lots of bling.


Over the past two weeks we are getting an inside look at another social group.  I will call this group 'The Football Fanatics".  WHOA!  This is something new.  Did you know that you are strongly encouraged to pay for sports films of every game your son plays in?--to the tune of $10 a pop.
This is serious business.   The coaches have asked us to not talk to them on game day because they are so focused and they can get pretty intense.  Perhaps they will have been up all night studying the films.  For a month straight they will practice every weeknight for 2 hours.  Then it goes to three nights a week plus games on Saturday.  The moms (more intense than the dads) are at the practices cheering for their sonny boys to be the fastest in the training sprints.

I'm not complaining.  Actually, I'm super happy that Clark wants to play.  It is great exercise and he enjoys being a part of the team.  The coaches are demanding, but inspiring to the boys.  The parents of the other boys are very friendly as well.  I get the feeling that we are just extensions of the team and we will have a grand time cheering at the games.  It's just that this is a new group for me to observe and this one is a doozy.  What an entertaining fall I am going to have.


Well, my friends, thanks for reading as I have droned on this evening.  I think I will strap a couple of kids in to the stroller and take an evening walk.  Doesn't that sound lovely?  Good night.

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

I feel bad for you with the way that "Father and Sons" worked out. Usually we wives get stuck with dealing with children and their bouts of sickness and bodily fluids. (Like Bowron Lakes). You are a good mommy and wife, and hey, at least your ward has father and sons campout, ours hasn't done it the two years we've been here and it bothers me. I wouldn't fit in with the football crowd either, the things we do for our kids. :)