Friday, October 21, 2011

Dead Poets Society

For our family home school book club this month we had a haunted poetry night.  Rather than reading  a book and then discussing, everyone came ready with a haunted/scary/spooky poem to recite.
Last night we pulled all the poetry books off the shelf and read through several poems to find just the right ones.  Elinor read "Windy Nights" by Robert Louis Stevenson.  Bethany read "Horrors" by Lewis Caroll.   Faith did "Theme in Yellow" by Carl Sandberg.
Deadger Dallan Doe recited "Annabelle Lee".      Creepy.
I was Bess, the Landlord's daughter and I recited my favorite haunted poem, "The Highwayman".  I braided a red ribbon into my long dark hair.
We all recited by candlelight and flashlight.  There was a variety of poems and even a haunted short story.  My personal favorite was by Dave Young who did a hybrid of Twas the Night before Halloween and the Devil Went Down to Georgia.  It involved him playing the drums (he's a percussionist but he was under a spell and couldn't play very well).  Then in the poem I said "Double or nothing to the devil" and came and saved the day by playing my trombone.  Ha ha!  I loved it!
We had a Spider Man Team and they were shooting their webs at us.
Side note to my sister-in-law Melissa, who lives in Kansas - Bethany found her India outfit at DI for $6.00.  I thought Megan would appreciate that:)
I understand that sitting around on a Friday night reading poems might not be everyone's cup of tea, but we had a grand time.  I am grateful to have friends who also think that is real entertainment!

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

What an awesome way to spend an October evening! Abe really looks the part! We would have loved to have been there!!