Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fun Fall Happenings

There are a few really big events my children look forward to each year.  Christmas, Halloween, the 4th of July Parade... and going to the Crazy Corn Maze with our good friends, the Johansens.  We have gone for at least 4 (maybe 5) years in a row and we always take a picture of the gang before going in.  The oldest of the group will be gone on a mission this time next year.  The girls have been planning their outfits for weeks.
And their hairstyles.  These girls are now old enough to go and get lost by themselves in the corn maze.
This group still sticks with the moms and dads.
My job was to keep tabs on Cannon.  
Abe's job was to tote Georgie around.  And may I just say that I love this picture.  It was great fun and a corn maze is one of the few times in my life that I don't feel like I need to be in charge of anything.  I am comfortable leading out, but it is so nice to just follow the crowd, or whoever has a map and thinks they know where they are going.  I'm not a big proponent of following the crowd, but I have no wish to use my brain at all in the corn maze.  Baa, baa.

Today was our October book club for the younger kids' book club.  We read Pollyanna and have had our fill of gladness for a while.  We played games outside and were glad for beautiful fall weather.  
Pollyanna gets temporarily paralyzed near the end of the book, so we had an invalid relay.  Here they are practicing for the big race.  I'm thinking an invalid relay probably wasn't very PC.
But it was pretty funny to watch.

In the book they kept talking about something called calf's-foot jelly.  I thought that might be an interesting book club snack.  After a little research on the internet I learned that it would involve boiling an actual calf's foot.  Um... no thank you.
So we made calf's-foot jello instead.  It was a hit!

1 comment:

Mothership said...

I miss having our little kids book clubs. Maybe I'll start another one up here.

What is mowed into your grass?? It looks like a T heart E . . . but that doesn't fit anyone in your family. Did I miss this explanation?