Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Leap of Faith at DI

I took my people to DI the other night for a bit of recreational shopping.  In case you don't know, DI is a really big thrift store.  When I asked if anyone wanted to go to DI with me there was loud cheering and racing to put shoes on.  The girls were looking for Webkinz because they have friends who have greatly increased their collections from DI.  And for the record, my girls did have sucess in finding more stuffed animal webkinz. 

But I took a real leap of faith and bought a puzzle at DI.
I wanted to do a puzzle this weekend, so for $1.50, I purchased this lovely 504 piece, English cottage puzzle.  The reason it is so risky to buy a puzzle at DI is that the puzzle has already been opened and put together.  You have to just hope that the person had the good sense and kindness to put all the pieces back in the box before they gave it away. 

What a cruel joke it would be to purposefully withhold one single piece. 
The sad news is that we never did get to find out if all the pieces were there or not because George reached up and grabbed the puzzle off the table just when it was almost completed.  Dern it!

Oh well.  In a family of lots of little children I suppose one learns to get over such little disappointments.  But now I'll never know if all the pieces were there or not.  How will I know if I can ever trust to buy another puzzle from DI?

While the girls were looking through the masses of once-loved stuffed animals, Cannon found something he could not leave behind. 
Mom:  "Cannon, that is a really cool robot, but he has a broken arm."
Cannon:  "But that's okay."
Mom:  "I don't really want to buy a robot with a broken arm."
Cannon: "Pwease, oh pwease!"
Mom:  "How much is he?... 75 cents.... well, maybe."  (grrr.. I really don't want to buy a robot with a broken arm) "How about ice cream?  Would you rather get the robot or go get ice cream?"
Cannon:  "No, I want to get the robot".
Mom:  "All right.  You can get him."

So we got the robot with the broken arm and he has been treasured each day since.  But the "best" was yet to be!  Clark found where the batteries go and what a joy for Cannon to discover how LOUD the robot with the broken arm is as it flashes bright lights and plays intense techno music. 

May I just say that I am glad to have only paid $.75 for the robot with the broken arm.  To think that some tragic person probably paid $40.00 for the robot before it had a broken arm.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I have an 80% finished 1500 piece Shakespeare puzzle on my table right now you can help me finish.