Friday, October 7, 2011

T-Bone

The kids dragged my old trombone up from the basement a few weeks back and have been begging me to play it for them.  I told them I would, but I was putting it off.  I was a little nervous since it had been quite some time since I'd played it.  Could I possibly have forgotten how to play the trombone after playing it for 13 years--6th grade through college?
Putting aside the fact that I look like a beast in this picture, I am happy to report that I can still play!!!  I suppose it is like riding a bike-- you never forget.  And it was so fun! While my chops (my lips) were out of shape, my musicality was all there!  Someday when my people are all grown up I think I will need to join the city orchestra or something. 
I explained to the kids that the trombone IS the family instrument.  I played it, my dad played it, his dad played it, and an uncle or two played it, and a couple of cousins played it.  It is a grand and proud instrument.  So who's next?  Who will be the next generation trombone player??

Don't jump up all at once, now.
All right-- Elinor!  You can be the next trombone player.  You do have dark hair like your mama.  And I should tell you that there tend to be a lot of boys in the trombone section!  Not that that would have influenced my decision to play the trombone... but you better believe I didn't even consider the flute!

3 comments:

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Those pics bring back some major memories of band! And our crazy lunches playing california speed! Oh and the lovely marching band uniforms with the even more attractive hats! Doesn't this pic bring back even more memories?
http://lovinorange.com/images/albums/growingup/seasidehigh/013.jpg

P.S. There is nothing wrong with the flute! LOL! You get to flirt with the trumpet players!