Sunday, November 13, 2011

This One is For Me

There are times when I have several ideas for blog posts that I can't wait to sit down and write about.   I have more ideas than I have time to write.

And then there are times like right now.  I desperately want to write, because I enjoy it so much, but I don't feel like I have much to say.  At times like this I find it best to just start writing.  A stream of consciousness, if you will.  Sometimes I write for Grandmas and Grandpas.  Sometimes for my friends, or for my children to read someday.  Tonight, I write for me.

Today was our Primary Sacrament Meeting at church.  This is the one week of the year that the Primary children present a program of what they've learned about this year.  They each have a speaking part at the microphone and they sing about 8 songs.  As the Primary president it was my responsibility to write the program and make sure it all ran smoothly.  And I am extremely happy to report that it went very well.  The children sang out nice and loud, nobody had stage fright, there were no tears, and no one threw up.  Success!  I enjoy this calling so much.   I love the kids and we have wonderful teachers and music leaders.  I have been the Primary president for almost 3 years, and I don't know how much longer I will have the calling.  But I think it will be a very sad day for me when it is time to move on.

Cannon seems to have turned a corner lately in his behavior.  He has seriously calmed down.  He is bordering on a reasonable human being!  I voluntarily and happily took him to the library yesterday with no stroller.  I let him walk on his own two feet and look for books of interest to him.  He didn't pull down stacks of books.  He didn't yell and scream like a madman.  I think we've made it to the end of the tunnel of his more challenging baby and toddler days.  Oh, happy day!  Perhaps he has been gradually improving, but I think I was rather traumatized for a while and so I couldn't notice it.  He really is quite charming and loving lately.  Tonight he told Abe, "Dad, You're my best Dad ever!"  He has stopped wreaking havoc with Clark's Lego creations.   Clark frequently tells me how much he loves Cannon and how glad he is that we had him.  Nice for a mom to hear things like that.

Elinor has had her staples removed from her head.  In hindsight, I really should have taken her to the Insta-care rather than the emergency room, but I saw blood and I panicked.  We haven't seen the bill yet and consequently I live in fear of my mailbox.  Blah.

Over the past 2 weeks the kids had gotten rather behind on quite a bit of school work, but we pulled a late night the other night to get caught up on things.  The evening reminded me of when I was in the 4th grade and got behind in some school work.  I remember crying to my parents about how hard it was and how "I was never going to get it all done and I couldn't do it!"
Funny to now be on the other side of it and to realize that it was no harder for me to have to do the work than for my parents to sit with me and insist that it be done.  I didn't enjoy the evening of catch-up any more than the kids did.

Operation: Get in Shape Girl is still in full swing.  I am working hard exercising 6 days a week.  I am probably driving my family a little crazy.  I think Abe is getting tired of my updates, but I am quite enjoying myself.  It is remarkable how quickly you can gain strength and improve your fitness.  I feel so much stronger in just the last couple of months of focused exercise.  I don't know that I look that much different yet, but I feel great.  I look forward to my time to exercise and really enjoy the stability of mind those lovely endorphins provide.

As I mentioned before, George is now walking.  He has been kind of sick lately with a cold, which I believe is contributing to his already picky appetite.  But he is pretty much living on bananas, cheese sticks, and spagettios.  I figure there could be worse combinations.

Now that the weather has turned cold and will remain cold for the next 800 months, I found we were having a major sock shortage.  Where did all the socks go?  They were here in the house in May, but by October I could only match about 6 pair of kid socks.  That lasts for about a day.  I broke down yesterday and stocked up on stockings.

Ha, ha, ha!  Stocked up on stockings.  I like that.
Anyway.  Socks are not cheap.  But the girls have been reveling in how soft and comfortable their new socks are.  Ahhh- so easily pleased.

Well, this post is even worse than I anticipated.  I hoped that once I got writing I might have something profound to say.  Needless to say-- I don't.  Oh, well.  Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Gabrielle Kim said...

I have been feeling the exact same way. Perhaps it's something in the air. You are a great primary president! I don't think they should ever let you go!

Heather said...

Hi Betsy,
I found you from the Mothership and have loved hearing from you and about you so much that I finally came to see your blog. I love this post, probably because I can relate to it. I was the primary president until this Spring, I am home with 4 young children and another on the way, and we are homeschoolers.

Good to meet you!

Heather :)