Saturday, December 31, 2011

Merry Christmas 2011, Take 2

Aren't children a joy at Christmas?

We tried to get a nice picture of all the grandchildren on my side, but it didn't go so well.

On the morning after Christmas my siblings and parents and Barbara and Allison gathered to try to take some family pictures, and although it was at a lovely location, it was very cold and very challenging with so many little ones.  Then later we met for lunch and opening more presents at Barbara's house, but by then, the kids weren't much for taking pictures.  I say, if you can't get a good picture, then  try to get a really awful one (see above) because then at least it is good for a laugh!
We all really look forward to our Christmas celebration with Barbara and Allison.  They quite spoil us all and this year was no exception.
Our tree is full of ornaments that Barbara has given the kids each year.  The question is, when the kids leave home and start their own families, will we let them take their ornaments with them?  Or will I keep the ornaments on our Christmas tree at home so that they must come visit us when Abe and I get old?  I imagine a lovely scene in my mind of little grandchildren combing through the tree trying to find their parent's ornaments.  Can you guess which way I'm leaning?
Would you like to know what was the most shocking gift of the year?  Alright, I'll tell you.

Barbara gave Bethany her own hair dryer and curling iron.  This moved Abe to tears.  That is no exaggeration.  She opened the box and Abe started crying.  I wasn't shocked when she opened the present, because I had already recovered from the impact when Barbara told me what she was giving a few weeks earlier.  Truthfully, I felt a little embarrassed that I hadn't realized we were to that point with Bethany.  She is almost 11 and of course she LOVES her new things and is experimenting with cute new hairstyles.  It all seems very healthy and normal, but Abe is struggling.  And that seems healthy and normal as well.  She is his eldest daughter after all.
Barbara gave the menfolk aprons for cooking and BBQing.  I would like it to be known that while 2 of the aprons are clearly made from BYU material, the other two, although red and white and black, are NOT University of Utah.  They are little men BBQing.
Just wanted to clear that up.
And in keeping with the super hero theme of Christmas 2011, Cannon got a "super cool Spider-Man car".
Clark is moving up in the world of technology-- not too hard to do when you start with an am/fm radio alarm clock.  He got another mp3 player from Barbara.  When it rains it pours!  
He has also learned an important but somewhat uncomfortable lesson this Christmas.  As you get older, your presents get more expensive, and consequently your quantity of gifts diminishes.  He understands, but it can be hard to be the oldest kid in the family.
ME WANT COOKIE!!!!

No, really.  I'd really like to eat a cookie right now.  
I KNOW!  I know what you're thinking, "It is such a daring look, but somehow she  can pull it off!  How does she do it?"
 I can only credit my make-up artists and Barbara who is Elinor's make-up supplier.  I think the blue eye shadow may be ready for a come back.  What do you think?

No comments: